Need tips/suggestions for dog's dry skin!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Coco, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Coco

Coco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    Does anyone have any tips/suggestions to help our dog's dry skin issues?

The weather here has changed, it's cold outside equaling dry air inside. Our 90 lb Lab mix has been very itchy ever since the weather changed and he's up to date on his flea treatments, etc...so we know it's not that (plus it's too cold for fleas here now anyways.) He just seems uncomfortable most of the time...but otherwise is fine. He doesn't get baths...so that's not a contributing factor either. Any suggestions?

2. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    try giving him a bath with a shampoo that has either coal tar or oatmeal in it.

3. Samarai Jenn

Samarai Jenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    I put aloe vera on our dogs when they get dry skin, and if they lick it off it doesn't hurt them... My mom used to give her dog benadryl (sp?) seemed to help her.

4. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i use oatmeal shampoo every time i give my dog a bath this well help very well with dry skin!

5. SittinPretty

SittinPretty Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Add oatmeal or any kind of omega 3,6,9 oil (like fish oil) to their food. It has helped my dogs tremendously.

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Rub in some extra virgin olive oil, working it into the skin. It's a natural moisturizer and anti-bacterial. Also really healthy to be licked off. Will leave coat nice and glossy.

7. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    90% of skin issues are internal, meaning what are you feeding him. If he is on a less than premium food, all the topical will be for naught.
    Get him off the corn, wheat, by products, and he will do much better

8. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    We put omega-3 oil on the kibble, about 2 tbsp. every morning. Also, is it possible he's itching because he's growing in his winter coat? My Pyr grows a thicker coat in winter, and this is usually an itchy process till it's all in.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Most likely this is caused by the diet they are eating. 9 times out of ten that's the culprit. As a pro dog groomer I would highly recomend the oatmeal shampoo that others here have stated previously but as a kennel owner I would also urge you to buy them a kibble that is geared for the canine system. Most dog foods are designed to appeal to humans, not cover what a dog actually needs to eat in order to be completely healthy. All the ones with corn as their first ingredient are a BIG no no! Dogs are carnivores, their systems are designed to eat meat. Find you a high quality, meat based dog food with the grain products as far down the ingredient list as you can find. The further down on the list, the less of the ingredient their is in the food. I don't know if W-mart carries it any more but they did have a food designed by Rachael Ray I think it was called "Nutirsh", something like that. It was reasonable in cost and very well put together. Omega oils aare a key that you need to look for as well. Good luck! [​IMG]

10. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Quote:you can buy vit E capsules and break them open over his food. Changing his diet is also a good idea...if you can afford a better quality food, money is tight these days. there are dog vit that also help with dry skin.

Try boiling water on the stove to add humidity to your house (adding potpouri to the water makes the house smell nice [​IMG] ) or using a humidifier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by