Need to build a coop..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sramelyk, Apr 21, 2012.

1. sramelyk

sramelyk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Borden, IN
    Wow.. When I set out on this adventure to raise a few chickens I never thought the hardest decision I'd have to make is coop design. I've now spent countless hours scouring the internet looking at plan after plan and honestly still haven't made a decision. So, I thought to actually ask for help. I have a ton of scrap lumber. Mostly 2x4's and some 2x6's as long as several sheets of plywood. I have about 1/2 acre but am in the country and a good 1/4 acre or less is overgrown weeds and brush that I burn every year. I've actually thought that if I make a tracter coop I could put the chickens to work clearing and fertilizing some of that plot for a nice garden next year.

I have 6 2-3 week old chicks right now. I only wanted to raise 4 but they had a minimum limit on purchase of 6 so thats what I have. I honestly thought 1 or 2 would die but they are all striving and happy as.. Well.. Chickens..

So, any suggestions? 6 hens that need a coop..

Here is a picture of the ladies in their brooder..

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!!!

Kyle

2. JasonFairview

JasonFairview New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    It's so exciting inset it! The birds look great. I know that this site has a lot of great plans and/or prebuilt coops available. The plans offered online are also a great place to start. I would also recommend finding a local group that is passionate about raising chickens and look at what they've build, this will be your best bet for finding the perfect coop idea.

Good luck keep us posted

-----
    Jason
    www.learnhowtobuildachickencoop.com

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Cute girls! But if you've been looking for hours, you probably have seen most of what people will suggest. Have you looked at the coop section of this website? There is a whole section on tractors, with notes on how they were built.

And welcome to the forum!

4. sramelyk

sramelyk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Borden, IN
    Thanks..

I think my major confusion is this.

If I build a tractor or coop can they live in there 24x7. I'd love to let them free range but am not sure the neighbors would approve..

5. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    As long as there is enough space, they can definitely be in there 24/7. You have six, so build it, for instance, with a 6x10 footprint (about 10 sq. feet per bird), about 4 feet tall, and make the coop rest up off the ground. Make your coop like 6x3x2 with a ramp. You can have nest boxes that stick out of the coop so you can get the eggs - you will only need two for 6 hens.
    You can hang the food and water under the coop.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by