Need to buy a pellet gun

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Nov 5, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have a hawk that has been perching and picking off sparrows. This morning it got one of my chickens. Please recommend a pellet gun that will handle a predator. Please also refrain from commenting if you disagree.

2. cappy

cappy Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Cottageville, SC
    I don't disagree however the feds might. All raptors (hawks, eagles, falcons, and owls) are protected by federal law. If you must shoot, don't get caught. The fines are steep.
    Ken

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I don't disagree other than the fact that they are protected under federal and state laws. You can't shoot them without the appropriate depredation permits.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I understand...let's just say I want to buy a pellet gun. What would you recommend?

5. cappy

cappy Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Cottageville, SC
    If the bird is large enough to take a chicken a pellet gun ain't going to do it unless you are extremely close. The standard .177 pellet just doesn't have the velocity or range unless you want to spent $400 or $500 for a top of the line model and even then that is marginal. You can buy a reliable .22 for much less.
    Ken

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    That depends. Are you wanting a pellet gun because you live in an urban area and think it will be safer? If so, you can just try a Crosman pump rifle from Wal-Mart. Personally, for actually killing something, I would suggest a .22 caliber, break barrel, spring powered gun. These are not toys though, they are are high powered air rifles. I would not shoot one in an area where you wouldn't feel safe firing a regular .22 rifle.

7. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Do not get a 22 to shoot a bird.

The bullet from a modern 22 long rifle shell can travel well over 1 mile before hitting the ground if fired into the air.

A 20 gauge shot gun will do the trick.

Like the other posters have said it is a federal offense in the US to shoot a raptor without a permit and they don't really like to give them to normal folk.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks - I'll have to rethink this. I can't discharge a firearm within city limits which is why I was thinking pellet gun. I was about 10 feet away today and had to scare it off.

9. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I personally have a crossman phantom. Very accurate right out of the box. Shoots 1000 fps. Takes out squirrels, and other small animals quite efficiently. I love this pellet gun. I have noticed that hollow points don't go as far as regular .177 pellets. But other than that it is very easy to use and is affordable.

Just my humble opinon.

10. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by