Need to choose a type of duck to show, lookign for oppinions! :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MohicanHase, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I get a trio of Cayuga this July for 4H,a nd have since been told my drake is a mix, and I can not use mixes fr 4H, so I had to sell them, so I am now looking for a new breed (or even keeping Cayuga) what typed do you all recommend for show? top on my list would be Mallards, Cayuga, Appleyard, would get Calls or east indies ina flash but I think they would be able to get out of my pen. Any opinions are welcome :) always like to see new breeds not really set on ay breed.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My, my, I don't think any one breed is prettier than the next - each has their charms.

For something less common, Dutch Hookbills come to mind. There are Runners, Cayugas are very dramatic looking. Welsh Harlequins are lovely, eye-catching (to me). Saxonies… I am fascinated by Australian Spotted ducks…Calls look like little China dolls...

On a side note, if the pen is not able to keep smaller duck breeds in, I feel it is not safe for any duck at night. Do they have a predator-resistant shelter at least at night? (I am a worry wart about that.)

3. MohicanHase

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    they do have a shelter, it prably would keep one in, but it has wheels on the bottom so I cam move it often, so it has a little gap at the bottom, my one pekin somehow dug a hole and squeezed out of it once. lol I am not even shure how :p but we live in the country, but its not in a place with a ton of predators, I am out till like 1:30am, so if something is going on I usually see it, I don't tolerate any predators around, I know anything can happen, but if I see anything its taken care of, or if I think something fishy is going on I sit outside all night. LOL I am trying to think of something I can put around the bottom of it when its going to be in one place for a while, like in the winter, int he summer it needs moved like every otherday.

4. MohicanHase

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I also might consider geese, like apair of Chinese or something, if I get like a trio of large breeds, I will prably rehome my Pekin (I have them really only as pets/egg layes I thought one was a drake and it turned out to be a hen that's why I got the Cayuga originally :p )

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In my experience, a predator can reach through a one inch gap under fence and pull a duck bit by bit under the fence. I know you care about your animals - but I have seen and read about some very tragic ends.

This may sound harsh, but I tell myself this whenever I find myself wanting to take short cuts: dead is dead, gone is gone, prevent tragedies if possible. Please do cover that gap, and remember raccoons will read through a fence if they can. Some things will scale a fence and come in from the top.

6. MohicanHase

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I will see what I can come up with :) I just need something I can remove when I move the pen so it doesent snag.

7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    As far as show breeds, Calls tend to do better than most - but like any breed, you need to find quality. All too many breeders will claim their Calls are show quality or high breeding quality when they're not at all.

Also, Amiga's right, even a tiny 1-inch gap is more than enough for a raccoon or stoat to get in and grab your birds. In fact, it can be worse since they can't pull the whole bird through, so...well, you can probably imagine what happens. A permanent night roost is kinda mandatory, if you're interested in getting and raising show birds, you need to protect your investment.

8. MohicanHase

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I am working on something now to cover the gap :) Here are duck I am looking at getting, Either Indian runner (a penciled pair, and a fawn and white duck) Apple yards, and Cayugas. I know the Indian Runners are show birds, and I was told the Appleyards are from someone who shows, not shure on the Cayuga. And of course I can only pick on breed to get right now :p may get another breed in the spring when (should say if) we move. Here are pics of them, working on getting better pics of the Appleyards, and Cayuga, In your experience whitch would you all say is the best breed to show your 1st year? I also have a chance to get a nice Silver Welsh Harlequin pair, but they are very expens[​IMG]ive ($222.73) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. MohicanHase

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    (PS she told me those pics of the runners are not super good, they were running around when she took them)

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duckyfromoz may have some insight on showing Runners. I don't recall who shows what. My Runners are pet quality. Love'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by