Need to Clean Used Coop--help!

Shreenith

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
Southern California
I got a used coop on Craigslist. It's a nice, 4x8 one and well-constructed. I was so pleased 'cause I'm a poor student and not skilled at woodworking.

The problem is that it's a little dirty. The last owners had it sitting vacant in their yard for a while after their chickens moved out. It still has some hay and encrusted poop in the net box :)P blech) and I think I spot mold around some of the joints. Help! I'm holding off a bit to get chickies 'til midterms are over, but I need to know what a good way to clean this would be. A wire brush and bleach?

Thank you for all your help so far!

a wire brush and bleach would be the method I would choose! I would also treat it as if it was contaminated with something new residents could catch. You never know what kind of icky creatures resided with the last birds...

Last edited:
Most parasites and diseases cannot last long without a host, but some diseases can last a long time, even a couple of years. You're not really after dirt but after possible disease spores and such. I'd think a wire brush and bleach is sufficient, but also necessary. Just make sure the bleach gets in the nooks and crannies where disease spores may hide.

And congratulations on your score. It's nice when some things are fairly easy.

Bleach water will be fine on the coop.
Scrub it then bleach water it out and let it air dry. I would do it twice if it were me then you might even consider putting some paint on it with a semi gloss water based paint this way you can have a fancy new looking clean coop!
I know at most HomeDepot stores and now even walmart they will resell used paint. Its half the price youd pay and you can find some really great paint for cheap this way!
I bought a 5 gallon bucket of the new all in one primer and paint at home depot and scored. Normally it would of cost me well over $100. but they sold it for $20! I painted the new coop and also some rooms inside my house!
I think the 1 gallons you can get for as low as $5. at home depot too. Whenever I go there I always look in the paint area to see what theyve got to resell.
Congrats on your coop and your new chickens will love you for being a good momma!

Last edited:
The bleach will not hurt the wood.

How long? That depends on how it is configured and how good the ventilation is. When you are finished, let it set several minutes and rinse it well. Then open it up and let it air out.

From what you posted, I don't see that you have a tight deadline. I'd suggest just wait until you can't smell the bleach and you will be extremely safe. I'm not talking weeks or months. If you have pretty good ventilation and a windy day, you'f probably be OK to clean it in the morning and put then in that night. I don't know when your mid-terms are, but just get it done and you are ready.

Once it is clean, don't worry about it getting dirty or dusty. You will have taken care of the problem, which is potential diseases.

I would definitely bleach it as the others have said...also painting it is an excellent idea. Red mites can live without a blood meal for 34 weeks. Northern Fowl Mites can live without eating for just 3 weeks. You might consider treating it as if it had some mites in there...here is a link:

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Here is a newer page that describes carbaryl as restricted:
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/pesticides.html

You can purchase poultry dust at the feed store, or online (prozap permethrin). Also they sell liquid permethrin at the feed store, which after dilution is excellent for treating coops.

Additionally, cocci are killed by ammonia I have read on BYC and not bleach...you can search for threads with this information if interested. You would perhaps only need to be concerned with that if you were going to brood chicks in there? I don't know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom