Need to construct brooding house ASAP

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LittlenRedHen782, Jun 24, 2011.

1. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    I found out this morning that my Egyptian Fam Hathor is really Osiris [​IMG], and this afternoon I saw tail tell signs that he at least attempted matting with my light Brahma banty. So he needs is own living quarters for him and his girls and ideas for a fast solution. [​IMG]

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I used a cardboard box with chicken wire over the top (so he wouldn't get out).

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    A portable pen would work. Anything like a childs playpen to a puppy pen. Just cover the top with something like netting. You can put that in the run as a separation deal if they need protecting. Like this:

The picture was taken outside the main pen. If you look you will see a little house which is the nursery and next to that on the left you see a short metal fencing that encloses the ducks so they have room to move around freely. Over the top is netting so other birds can't get inside. Hard to see that but it's blue.
    [​IMG]

The main coop is covered in wire. There is a larger coop behind the small nursery for the other larger ducks. I hatched these ducks that is why they are not with a Momma duck. It's a pen with in a pen and works great in a pinch. I have several pens in which I can do this. Great for emergencies.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have had several issues with bullies this year. All houses and brooder/coops are full. I went to Walmart where I bought a tent with a zippered screen for ventilation for $20. This is where two of my roos are sleeping until I find a home for them. They freerange during the day.

5. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Quote:Cool idea!![​IMG]

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Cool idea!![​IMG]

Now it isn't great for long term use. I have to run out and zip up the screen when it rains. Fortunately it has another screened vent at the top covered with an umbrella-like flap. It has anchors but I wouldn't trust it in very high winds. So far it doesn't leak though. Super easy to clean too. [​IMG]

7. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    We use an old large dog kennel we got at a garage sale. We put some wheels on it from an old rolling desk chair (also yard sale) so it can be wheeled around the yard and get a new patch of grass to eat. Then when it gets rainy we have a makeshift shelter out of an 18 gallon storage bin with a hole on the side (which fits snug inside the kennel). Works great for only about $30.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:I use one of these too. It works very well. I never thought of wheels or cover though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  9. vivan88

vivan88 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH!!!Chickens are in big trouble

10. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    I did it [​IMG] using 1x3s, netting and and old dog house. [​IMG]
    and then I was able to catch all four Egyptians and move them in. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by