Need to coop up the girls for a couple days, advice?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Nov 26, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We have to be out of town the coming week for medical reason for our daughter. Possibly two nights. We have 6 chickens, we will need to coop them up because we have no one to open their door the run morning and night. They will be find with food and water. What worries me is sometimes when the are cooped up they will pick on each other. They have enough space I think it is just due to boredom. Are there thins we can put in there with them while we're gone to help with that? i was thinking of getting some bird seed hanging things to put in there? Also they have 3 nest boxes but only use one. We get 4-5 eggs a day. If one box gets full will they use the others? Or could we come back to 10+ eggs in one box!?

thanks!

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    you could hang a head of cabage.....some ears of corn......to give them something to peck at.....as far as the eggs....it wont matter if they lay all in one box....they may use the other
    box...but sometimes i think they like to lay where they see an egg ....so chances are you might have one full next box!!!

3. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    thanks!

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Some feed stores carry "Flock Blocks". They are as big as a salt block but have grains and other goodies embedded in a compact hard block. This gives the chickens something else to take out their frustration and use up energy on besides each other. I also use the head of cabbage idea throughout the winter.

5. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We got a sunflower suit cake and we'll get a cabbage before we leave.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You could come back and find a few in the other nest, but normally, they'll just pile them up in the same old box they prefer. Sometimes, an egg or two gets broken, but your need to go is paramount. Cabbage heads, flock blocks all work well as a distraction. Watermellons cut in half, things like that.

The most important thing is to have a back up waterer. Need something to fall back on if they first leaks, gets dumped or polluted. They'll be fine. A few days doesn't hurt anything. Life has to go on.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    In your case you have to do what you have to do. What you come home is just what it is. Do what you think will work and run with it. If you follow all the advice you get the chickens couldn't move in the coop. Water and food and take care of the daughter. Good luck on both fronts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by