Need to decide.......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cnj-tx50, Oct 27, 2009.

1. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    what to cover the floor with. Right now it is 8x12 coop with an expanded metal floor raised 2 feet off ground and open on all sides underneath. When we build this in June we were thinking of the Texas heat and the breeze we get off the lake. Worked great for ir flow inside on very hot days and night, but now with the north wind and temps dipping into the 50's I'm thinking we should cover the floor or enclose underneath maybe with some kind of hinged doors. We have windows on the east,west and south side and the door and chicken door are on the south side as well. Any thoughts?

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I would cover it with removeable wood sheets, that way comes sommer I can get the wood out again.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If I did anything I would block the side hit by the wind. Doubt ya need to... How cold does it get?

4. cnj-tx50

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    We can get below freezing some nights in the early morning, but the winds out of the north can be very strong all night. I think tht I am more woried about the wind than I am the temps. We do plan on running power to the coop in the next few weekends to have a t-stat controlled heat lamp so they would have osme heat if it does dip below freezing.

5. cnj-tx50

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    Hubby brought home some sheets of wood today that was left at a vacant house he was working on. Now I need to decide floor or blocking underneath. Today we are having north winds at about 15 mph so I had a few bales of hay that we found in a dumpster this summer and put those on the north side to block some wind. They are staying underneath today just like they always do but amwondering about using hay that has been sitting around - mold, dust, etc? Any thoughts?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

For the most part hay is safe but if its moldy it needs to be gotten rid of.

I would still just block 1 or 2 sides with wood...

7. cnj-tx50

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    Thanks so much!!! Will do just that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by