Need to fatten up skinny hen

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
My one year old EE Francie has just finished molting, and she's so skinny, she looks more like a flat carving of a chicken than a real one.

She seems normal, decent appetite, no worms, but she is probably less than a pound in weight. What can I feed her to get some weight on her? I'm very worried she won't be able to cope with the sub-freezing temperatures we get.

So, she looks a little like Tudy, the 2-D BYC mascot - right? Except, Tudy is quite b r o a d
wink.png

flat-byc-mascot.gif

Okay, you are fairly sure there isn't a reason to treat her for parasites? That could be a problem.

Molting is tuff on them. There are a lot of nutrients going into those feathers. And, if they are going into feathers, those nutrients aren't going into muscle or any other body tissue.

Most of the feather is protein. Is she back to laying? Her eggs are made up of a lot of protein also. Just to make things a little easier on her, that dietary protein should be easily digestible. If it isn't, much of it may just be passing thru her body. Now, is not the time for poor-quality feed.

Now is also not the time to short her for calories. With winter coming on strong, she needs calories to stay warm. There won't be any "fattening up" if she's a shivering wreck in the coop, 24 hours a day. I used to leave a light on during the coldest weeks of the year just so the birds could get down and get themselves something to eat whenever they felt like it. I no longer do that but since the feed, water and roosts are in a fully-insulated room with no sunlight, there's a light on in there for as many hours as there would be daylight, on a long summer day.

And, warmth? I believe that I fully realize that they can handle the cold - in those down jackets they wear. Still, the heat requirements could be rather high there in Colorado. It is no time for them to be subjected to any drafts, that's for sure. Also, heat is coming from calories - my experience is that they only seem to be able to increase their consumption by about 1/3rd above normal. If the "energy" component of their diets won't give them enuf calories, they will be burning the protein for it. And, protein isn't the easier energy source . . .

Hens don't need a lean, mean 24% protein diet when the temperatures are down around 0°F and they are already eating 30% more of everything! Now is the time for some comfort food. The highest sources of calories are fats but some low-protein milled grains are fine, too. And whatever you feed them, it would be even easier for them to digest, if it is cooked.

Steve

Edited to add: I just looked at your signature line. You know, you are comparing those EE's to Brahmas, Cochins and Sussex. Hardly seems fair for those little EE's! LOL

Last edited:
make her some warm oatmaeal add a little corn some BOSS a little cod liver oil and maybe some raisian. she love it and it will give her a little boost also mix in some of her feed make a damp mash. we do this every day for our birds during molts and extrem cold weather.you can add different things like yougurt, milk,scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, sprouts, be creative they will run for joy every time they see you.

So, she looks a little like Tudy, the 2-D BYC mascot - right? Except, Tudy is quite b r o a d
wink.png

flat-byc-mascot.gif

Okay, you are fairly sure there isn't a reason to treat her for parasites? That could be a problem.

Molting is tuff on them. There are a lot of nutrients going into those feathers. And, if they are going into feathers, those nutrients aren't going into muscle or any other body tissue.

Most of the feather is protein. Is she back to laying? Her eggs are made up of a lot of protein also. Just to make things a little easier on her, that dietary protein should be easily digestible. If it isn't, much of it may just be passing thru her body. Now, is not the time for poor-quality feed.

Now is also not the time to short her for calories. With winter coming on strong, she needs calories to stay warm. There won't be any "fattening up" if she's a shivering wreck in the coop, 24 hours a day. I used to leave a light on during the coldest weeks of the year just so the birds could get down and get themselves something to eat whenever they felt like it. I no longer do that but since the feed, water and roosts are in a fully-insulated room with no sunlight, there's a light on in there for as many hours as there would be daylight, on a long summer day.

And, warmth? I believe that I fully realize that they can handle the cold - in those down jackets they wear. Still, the heat requirements could be rather high there in Colorado. It is no time for them to be subjected to any drafts, that's for sure. Also, heat is coming from calories - my experience is that they only seem to be able to increase their consumption by about 1/3rd above normal. If the "energy" component of their diets won't give them enuf calories, they will be burning the protein for it. And, protein isn't the easier energy source . . .

Hens don't need a lean, mean 24% protein diet when the temperatures are down around 0°F and they are already eating 30% more of everything! Now is the time for some comfort food. The highest sources of calories are fats but some low-protein milled grains are fine, too. And whatever you feed them, it would be even easier for them to digest, if it is cooked.

Steve

Edited to add: I just looked at your signature line. You know, you are comparing those EE's to Brahmas, Cochins and Sussex. Hardly seems fair for those little EE's! LOL

Cooking is great but it does change nutritional value- each grain is different but if they're getting everything they need from their prepared feeds, it's a good way to go. Fermenting and/ or sprouting grain is less work and apparently they get more of every thing that grain has to offer and eat less. I have certainly noticed an increase in egg production.

Back
Top Bottom