Need to find a good hatchery for turkeys with no minimum

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by trunkman, Jan 15, 2013.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Hi everyone, I'm wanting to get my feet wet with raising turkeys, I've already raised and hatched many chickens and want to get into turkeys. I'm wanting to get bourbon reds, I like their size, color, and heard they are good pets. I don't want dozens, I'm looking for a half dozen to start. Can anyone recommend a good hatchery that doesn't require a minimum and has good prices? Thank you for any help!

2. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Where are you located? You are best off using craigslist or a member on here to find smaller numbers.

3. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I'm in Rock Hill South Carolina. I'd love to get poults from someone on here rather than a hatchery, I've purchased chicks from a hatchery before and lost 3 out of 10 then I hatched my own several times and have yet to lose a single one.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Poults are very delicate to ship. The large number requirement is in hopes of them not chilling and not being bounced around too badly.

Call around and perhaps you can find someone who will ship with heat packs, or else fill the box with chicken chicks. That will cost you as much as getting a full order. It would make as much sense to get someone to split an order with you.

The very best option is to find a breeder who is close enough for you to drive and pick up poults Then there is no minimum order and the poults will survive better if they are not mailed.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I agree.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2

7. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I should have some white midgets hatching soon. I'm in Statham Ga, 3 1/2 hours from you, but occasionally go up 85 to see my parents in NC.

8. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Thanks for the advice all! I might have to change my mind about breed if I end up going local. Livinzoo, how much do you charge per poult? I'll look that breed up to see if they interest me. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by