Need to fire rooster.........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trailblazn, Feb 10, 2012.

1. trailblazn

trailblazn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    So I guess I need to fire my rooster!!! I opened up all ten of my eggs today and they were all eggs after being in the incubator for 10 days. So disappointed.

So now I guess I need to know: is there a way to know if an egg is fertile before putting it in the incubator? I wouldn't have imagined all ten of my eggs are no good. What about when you open an egg, is there a way to tell if it's fertile?

I need to pick better eggs to incubate!!!!

Thanks for any help

2. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    When I open our eggs I can see the bullseye. It's usually very apparent. Go fry some eggs and have a little look-see.

[​IMG]

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    how old is your rooster? He may be too young ? Give its time. check an egg or two until you really see a bulls eye before putting in the incubator. They may be fertilized , but sometimes, they can be weak and failed.

4. trailblazn

Jan 30, 2012
    I had 3 eggs today, they all seemed to have a white spot on them. Didn't really look like a bullseye, but was a white spot. Let me know what you think.
    i believe the rooster should be about 10 mon to a year. Not really sure he was given to me.

5. trailblazn

Jan 30, 2012
    Sorry my picture didn't go thru, let me try it again. i will post two of them.
    never thought i would be taking pictures of eggs. lol

egg number one

[​IMG]

6. trailblazn

Jan 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

egg number two

7. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    In my newbie opinion, these look fertile.

What is your ratio of hens to rooster? Maybe he has too many ladies to service?

8. trailblazn

Jan 30, 2012
    i have 8 hens.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    All yolks have the white spot - what you are looking for in fertile vs. non-fertile is the bullseye around the white spot.

10. trailblazn

Jan 30, 2012
    Good, now I can look for the bullseye around the white spot on my eggs. I guess in the pictures I took above it kinda looks like a circle but not really a bullseye.
    Whoever posted the picture of the first egg, that is an awesome looking bullseye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by