1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need to float some eggs.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggcited2, Oct 9, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    We found a pile of eggs in an unusual place. They could be a few weeks old, so want to do a float test. I can't remember if the egg should stay on the bottom or float. Which one means the egg is ok?

2. zathura12

zathura12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    i think it is when they sink they are less than a week old because of the smaller air sac. If it floats than i am pretty sure it is too old. you can also google it and it should come up with a bunch of websites. i wish i had known that when I found a clutch of my bantam's eggs. [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You want them to sink. [​IMG]

4. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Quote:When it is at the bottom its good to eat, when its floating more its stale.

5. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Thanks, everyone. I thought they should stay on the bottom and if they float, throw them away. But wanted to make sure. Wouldn't want to make a mistake and then eat one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by