Need to get rid of FLYS!!! they are constantly on the chickens and ducks food. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ldutch123, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Songster

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Ok since it got so hot out I have had tons and tons of flys and they aren't on the poop they are all over the feed. It's awful. The ducks area has like 200 flys and I try to keep fans blowing in the chickens coop to keep the flys away a bit.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to rid myself of this fly mess. I have never had this problem and I wonder if the flys are just having a very reproductive year!!

Also when I pulled up the mat under the feed and water there were maggots!!! I just can't take these stupid flys:/

2. ldutch123

ldutch123 Songster

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Bump...anyone any ideas???

3. Cotton42

Cotton42 Songster

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Fly traps? Clean out the coop daily?

4. ldutch123

ldutch123 Songster

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna try the traps. The houses are fairly clean the flys are on the feed. No matter how fresh it is they fly right over n start eating

5. PartyOnARoost

PartyOnARoost Chirping

Jun 20, 2012
    IL
    Got the same problem! I put a Beatle trap and it caught MILLIONS of flys in that one bag! But get rid of the maggots cuz if the get to the chickens then there's a problem...

6. PartyOnARoost

PartyOnARoost Chirping

Jun 20, 2012
    IL
    Oh and I also live in Illinois too!!! Got up to one hundred degrees here, MAN! Thankfully it cooled down A LOT this week.... Woo hoo!

7. ldutch123

ldutch123 Songster

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I know it was awful. I felt so bad for the chickens.

What do you mean there would be a problem with the maggots? I did see some under the mat that I put under the feeder?

Since it was so hot I made lots of large areas for the chickens to stand in cold water which they loved but now I have snakes that decided to take up residence in those muddy areas. Ugggg I just can't win. :(

8. downsm75

downsm75 Songster

Apr 23, 2012
    Louisville Ky
    Penny in a zip lock baggie with water works when the sun is shinning. Walmart sells a trap that you hang in their coop/run. It works ok. You add water and it does help.

3 people like this.
  9. PartyOnARoost

PartyOnARoost Chirping

Jun 20, 2012
    IL
    Maggots feed off of chickens and thir blood, so get rid of them. And maybe set up trap for the snakes, or what I would suggest is make an enclosed run and coop with hardwire cloth etc. etc... I KNOW sooooo hot here the chickens were panting the last week but they stopped this week because it was really cool in their shaded area... What I did during the hot weather was put water in a ziplock bag, freeze it over night, put it in a cake pan and they LOVED it, ice cold water next to their electrolyte water was fantastic, and I also sprayed them down with a hose so they could cool off and let them free range longer which helped A LOT.

10. ldutch123

ldutch123 Songster

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    No way about the maggots! I didn't know that. I only saw them under the mat under the feeder. Omg I'm so going outside first thing after work tomorrow to clean that coop. I did not know that. I threw one mat out that had them but I think they may be in the young girls area under their mat also. Oh man.:(

Mine always free range and I put those pans all around the yard. So now I have to pull them all up because the snakes have moved from the large pond to the mud apparently. I do not like snakes and I have seen far too many this year already ickkkk

The penny in a bag....how does that keep the flys away?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: