Need to get them gaining weight fast!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ibarbidahl, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ibarbidahl

ibarbidahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Odessa, FL
    And with what I've got around the house. I can't get to a feed store until the weekend due to time constraints. What can I feed them that will help meanwhile? I'm getting really concerned!

They were thin when I got them but they are still losing weight and not gaining. This weekend I intended to worm them but now I'm worried about doing that even. :-( They are so skinny now. The last 10 days has been bad. I have cracked corn, but I have been so worried about protein ...now my only concern is weight. Should I just give in and give them the crack and maybe get a can of cat food or tuna while I'm at lunch?

I don't know if bringing them to my house and getting them hooked on free range time in the evenings is what did this or what. It seems like they are stuffing their faces with Grass pods and bugs and stuff in the hour or two in the evenings that they are out. Every night that they free range they go to bed with full crops (Sat- Wed) and they barely touch their feed (pellets) anymore. They used to hog their crumbles. So I'm going to get a small bag of crumbles and see if that is the problem first.

I can't believe taking them from a 3'x7' cage into a 35' run with free range time has made them lose weight. This boggles my mind!

I love my girls and this is killing me! Someone help!

Worm now or fatten up first?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Feed them the cracked corn and boost their protein intake with scrambled eggs. Worm them A.S.A.P. I hear Apple Cider Vinegar helps with worms, it's not a cure, but it'll help. Mix 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon drinking water for them. It'll also help them absorb the nutrients in their food and give them a bit of a boost health wise. Plain yoghurt is also good. Good luck with them!

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Try wetting the pellets to soften them. They might gobble that up. You can also crush the pellets to make crumbles. Protein in tuna is good.

4. ibarbidahl

Aug 22, 2012
    Odessa, FL
    Thanks. I guess I'll post over in the chicken behaviors as well to try to get see if I get more responses.

They don't care about the wet pellets. :-(

So far they are still active, but a little weaker. One of the eggs was a bit thin yesterday and the girls face who laid that egg is getting pale.

*WAHHHH!* I wish there was a miracle cure. I fed about a cup of corn (3 hens) and crushed pellets trying to see if the pellets were the problem. I won't know the verdict on the crushed pellets until I get home tonight though.

I guess I don't understand why they would all still be laying and have lost that much weight. I pulled the ACV out of their water last week when I noticed the loss of weight in case it contributed (it was in their water for about 2 weeks)

Would it be too much to feed the corn free choice, for a few days? I've not had chickens since I was a teen and I NEVER fed corn or scratch except as treats.

(They always have layers pellets free choice in a feeder.) They are about 28 weeks and I've had them about 5 or 6 weeks.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Try posting in the Emergencies and Diseases section. Good luck!

6. ibarbidahl

Aug 22, 2012
    Odessa, FL
    Thank yoU!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by