1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need to humanely euthanize a sick chicken NOW

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christie22701, Oct 24, 2015.

1. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    She needs to go now. I've heard of the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda combo in the cooler idea. Will this really work? Please help me. I can't break her neck or anything that would make it seem to cause her pain although I've heard this method doesn't always work. I don't know what to do.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry about your sick bird. [​IMG]Putting an animal down is always hard, but I'm sure it is the right thing for your bird right now.

I tried the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda combination once--it didn't work. That isn't to say it can't work for anyone else, but it didn't work for me. Despite me using large amounts of both "ingredients" and following instructions, the bird survived the whole ordeal.

There are many other euthanasia methods utilized by different people (breaking the neck, etc.). However, the method that I like most is using a pellet gun and shooting the bird behind the head. Death occurs quickly, there is little mess, and it is less "hands on" (if that bothers you like it does me).

3. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Where would I aim? I'm not trying to be stupid but that sounds like a better and faster way to do it. And easier for my bird

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    If it will lay it's head on the ground, you could bash it with a shovel. Sorry you have to do it. Good luck.

5. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I put the gun right to the back (more on top than directly behind) of the birds head, to avoid missing.

6. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Airsoft guns have the plastic pellets. Will that be strong enough?

7. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not talking about toy air guns. I'm talking about something like an air rifle, which shoots small (.177 caliber) lead pellets. Kind of like a BB gun, but more refined.

8. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    While a gun or pellet gun is an efficient and humane way of dispatching an animal a more effective method is to go old school with an axe to the neck. I think the most important is to make it humane and quick. You don't want her to suffer any more than necessary.

9. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia

10. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Thanks Bantam21. My neighbors son has a high powered airsoft gun with hollow point lead pellets. They came up and helped me with my girl. It was hard to hold her head down while he held the gun up against her and it took two pellets but then she was gone. I appreciate the recommendation. I glad I went that method than what I had originally planned. She's at peace now. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by