Need to identify the variety and sex of my peachicks - someone help me please!!

Chris NZ

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
Marlborough, New Zealand

Hi there
Am a newbie to peafowl fancying. I can find very little information on peafowl, here in New Zealand. Would welcome anyone's assistance in identifying the variety and sex of two peachicks that we rescued from a cattlestop. The chicks were approx 3 days old when we got them and are now around 10 weeks.
Thanks in anticipation!
Chrissie

Last edited:
Oh thanks so much for that and thank you for the lovely welcome! What a great photo. Peachicks are just so adorable! I have been looking through the threads on here and was fairly convinced that they are girls. This site is great. So many knowledgeable people!. I have always loved peafowl but only came by these girls by accident. Now I have got the bug and have bought a 2 year old white boy. He is arriving in a couple of weeks but I am worried about introducing the peachicks to him. Any pointers on how I should go about this? Also ,is it true that white peacocks are often infertile? Oh and are my peachicks Indian Blue? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Chris yes they are india blue, not true on the whites. welcome to the peafowl world, your 2yr old will breed this year, try to find a 2 yr old peahen..

Hi deerman. Thanks for that. Great to know that my white boy might breed. I will try and find him a mate of his own age. Am I right in assuming my peachicks wont lay viable eggs for a couple of seasons?

now talking india blues (no matter the color)....i have never had a 2yr old that didn't breed or lay eggs...even in rare cases had yearling hens lay.males will not get a full train until 3 yrs old...but alll mine have been fertile my 2 yrs old.

Back
Top Bottom