Need to identify the variety and sex of my peachicks - someone help me please!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Chris NZ, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Chris NZ

Chris NZ New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    Marlborough, New Zealand
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hi there
    Am a newbie to peafowl fancying. I can find very little information on peafowl, here in New Zealand. Would welcome anyone's assistance in identifying the variety and sex of two peachicks that we rescued from a cattlestop. The chicks were approx 3 days old when we got them and are now around 10 weeks.
    Thanks in anticipation!
    Chrissie

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    You have 2 pretty little girls , now you need a pretty boy to go with them.

3. Chris NZ

Chris NZ New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    Marlborough, New Zealand
    Oh thanks so much for that and thank you for the lovely welcome! What a great photo. Peachicks are just so adorable! I have been looking through the threads on here and was fairly convinced that they are girls. This site is great. So many knowledgeable people!. I have always loved peafowl but only came by these girls by accident. Now I have got the bug and have bought a 2 year old white boy. He is arriving in a couple of weeks but I am worried about introducing the peachicks to him. Any pointers on how I should go about this? Also ,is it true that white peacocks are often infertile? Oh and are my peachicks Indian Blue? Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Chris yes they are india blue, not true on the whites. welcome to the peafowl world, your 2yr old will breed this year, try to find a 2 yr old peahen..

5. Chris NZ

Chris NZ New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    Marlborough, New Zealand
    Hi deerman. Thanks for that. Great to know that my white boy might breed. I will try and find him a mate of his own age. Am I right in assuming my peachicks wont lay viable eggs for a couple of seasons?

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    now talking india blues (no matter the color)....i have never had a 2yr old that didn't breed or lay eggs...even in rare cases had yearling hens lay.males will not get a full train until 3 yrs old...but alll mine have been fertile my 2 yrs old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by