need to identify this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyschartz, Oct 10, 2013.

1. emilyschartz

emilyschartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I have five chickens that are almost six months old. for a few days now one of them has had this "black dirt looking mark on her face" what is it? Is I back and how do I get rid of it . We tried touching it to see if it was just a piece of mud that would come off but it didnt. Here is a picture of it its the dot on the Ted thing hanging on her neck area. .[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Could be pox.

-Kathy

3. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    How do I get rid of it? Can it hurt my chicken?

4. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    It looks like fowl pox. (Dry)
    Do a search on her for dry pox or fowl pox. It will give you treatment options. Usually it just has to run its course.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, it looks like a mild case of pox so far. It can spread to the other chickens, lasts a month to 6 weeks. Comes from mosquitoes. There is a vaccine. Chickens who have it are immune to it later. Look inside the beaks and throats of those that get it to make sure they do not have yellow patches that would indicate wet pox which is very dangerous, and cause respiratory distress. Here is some info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

6. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Ok thanks I'll check inside their beaks tomorrow. What's a vaccine for it? Can I prevent the others from getting it

7. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Ok thanks. I'll try to find it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by