1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need to increase the nutrients in my feed.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SuseyQ, Mar 2, 2016.

1. SuseyQ

SuseyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2016
    I need to pick a few more of your folks brains. I couldn't get the turkey feed I wanted to order so I'm left with a chicken starter. It has about the right amount of protein for layers, 20.5% so that is good but it is deficit in both Phosphorus and Maethionine compared to quail food. I'd like to know if you have any ideas what I can add to this food to make it more nutritiously balanced for quail. The calcium is also low, but I'll just add oyster shells or quail shell for this. Any suggestions??

Thank You,
    SuseyQ

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    you could ferment their feed it helps birds get more nutrients out of the food they already have.

3. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    I'd just add water to this and let it sit for a day or two, right? Do you serve it to them moist or dry?

4. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    it works for all food not just chicken feed

5. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Chicklover 1998,
    I understand this, but I can't ferment for myself. I did for a bit but I was allergic to yeast so I had some problems. I had to do water fermentation. My favorite thing I fermented was garlic.

SuseyQ

6. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    did you try sugar or apple cider vinegar, rather than starting with yeast.

7. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    That's pretty low protein for growing out the birds. It would be fine for layers with eggshell, and you can probably get away with it, but I'd try to find at least a 24% ration or supplement for protein.

8. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Chicklover,
    My ferment did have sugar in it, but it was a water and a nonaerobic ferment to attempt to prevent yeast growth. The ferment for me worked out well. I'm not so sure it would work for the amount of poultry I would have. Smaller scale m/b, but that's a ton of extra work and it may not produce what I need.

Thank You,
    SuseyQ

9. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    EmTy,
    I finally found a feed mill willing to work with me. They will make both a 26% and 28% protein feed. It's typically their turkey feed. It is organic and they will make is soy and corn-free! They are Blue Stem out of IA and they are willing to ship it if I could find a local business to ship it to decreasing my costs! So they are very willing to work with us and I may even convince them to keep this type of feed "in stock" for quail lovers. :) I did find a feed store that was willing to accept the shipment which will greatly decrease my costs.

I will have 50-80 quail at 4 weeks. I was thinking I'd use about (1) 50# bag a week. Does this seem about right? I have called about 15-20 feed mills, but this was the only one willing to work with me and also willing to ship it to another store to decrease my costs! I'm thrilled. I have some other feed that I purchased on Amazon that is 28% protein, but it's much, much more costly.

Thank you for your continued support. According to the learning center these ratios of protein are correct for quail. Layers and their mates get the 26% to avoid kidney disease and chicks as well as meat birds get the 28%.

SuseyQ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by