Need to keep chickens away...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityBredCountry, Oct 16, 2014.

1. CityBredCountry

CityBredCountry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    We have 32 open/free range chickens. We pin them up at night and let them out to roam free in the yard during the day. The problem that I am running into is that they are coming up onto the porch and pooping everywhere (as expected) but now the poo is getting dragged into the house. Is there something (spray or plant) that we can put down to keep them off the porch and steps?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    There is no real way to boundary train a chicken. You pretty much have to fence them either in or out. You might look into electric poultry netting, it is movable.
    Some people have had luck with motion activated sprinklers in flower beds if set exactly right, don't know if that would work with a porch... but some hens eventually don't care if they get wet either.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Maybe you could try making another spot more desirable. Try putting treats, water, and a shady spot as far from the porch as possible. Short of screening the porch that's the only thing I can think of.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Do you have any patches of vegetation around?

5. CityBredCountry

CityBredCountry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Thank you all. :)
    I do feed them near their coop, it's more of a treat that they get as they graze all day long in the grass.
    @centrarchid : We do have have a 1x8 acre area. 2 of it is cleared with vegetation around the border, but nothing like that around the porch.

I may be stuck to washing the porch down daily. Would they learn if I shooed them away each time they come up?

6. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I would just screen in your porch. It's a pretty simple and safe one-day project, and can also help to keep bugs from bothering you and flying in the house. It's not very expensive to do, depending on the size of your porch [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You could squirt them with the hose when they come near the porch..eventually they'll get the idea not to come there.

8. goodhappens

goodhappens Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2014
    I found putting up a large blanket worked best, it blew in the wind and scared them, havent had it up for a few days and the havent come back up yet. Fingers crossed

1 person likes this.
  9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What I do is place a feeding station in a good cover patch well away from porch. If cover patch comparable to porch with respect view is provides and has predictable supply of eats and possibly a place for dust bathing,,then the loafing may shift away from porch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by