Need to kill off a lot of mice...asap.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mandalina, May 21, 2010.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    We are under a full invasion of nasty little rodents.At first there was only a few but now...holy lord it is gross.I counted 15 very young mice just the other night breaking into my scratch bin, I was only able to kick a few and I don't think I killed them. Over all there has to be at least 100 of the little icky critters in there.A few of my hens have been killing some but it isn't enough.

What is safe to use around the chickens? I don't want to do live traps bc that defeats the purpose of killing off the mice, if I release them they are only going to come back and there is just too many.
    My DH wanted to buy a ton of rodent poison but I am too nervous that one of my little hens will get into it since they are very curious.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    How about a kitten or two?

3. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I have ten left to rehome. Tell ya what, I'll give you all ten kittens for FREE... Plus shipping and handeling.

-Have you tried snap traps? Cover the floors with them unless its a shared room with your chickens I see no problem.

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    We are having a problem with them this year too. You might try making a bucket trap for them, youtube has a few videos on how to make them.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have tried the floating sunflower trap, the spinning can trap, glue traps, & finally had to resort to poison. I feed my birds extra, so maybe they won't be hungry enough to eat the poisoned mice. It's been a week & a half, & so far all's good.

6. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    They are in with the chickens so I cant use snap traps which sucks.

I mentioned kitten to my husband....And recieved the look of death [​IMG] we already have 3 cats and 5 dogs so he says he refuses to feed anything else.Ha, it would be full on mice so I think it would be a good idea. Will a cat live in a coop with chickens?....need to look that up....

And off to google bucket traps.

7. koop

koop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2010
    Here is a mouse trap for you,

take a pail (icecream pail or larger) and fill it one third with water, then take a pop can and punch a hole in the bottom and top (in the center). Run a stiff wire through the holes in the can and smear Peanut butter on it, then set it on the top of the pail so it can spin. Then just put a stick from the floor to the top of the pail so the mice will walk up and have to reach to eat the PB, the can will spin and they fall into the water and drown.

I've used this trap many times and it works great. No poison, and no money.

8. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    get some cats behind his back. if he has a go at you give him the choice of a few extra cats or thousands extra mice.

9. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Yes, they will live in the coop with the chickens, mine does, he comes and goes as he pleases
    He prefers their company to mine and my DH

10. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I vote to try thisone!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by