1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need to know Brahma genetic colour...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SarahIrl, Feb 20, 2011.

1. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Can somebody please give me an idea of the right colour I can use for this bird in a colour calculator? Know VERY little about genetics and am trying to decide whether to add him to my flock of blue brahma hens...

[​IMG]

Thanks, Sarah

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If his breast is black with no lacing of any kind, I would think he is a wheaten.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He's a partridge. [​IMG] Btw, beautiful Brahma! His comb looks like a cusion comb, but otherwise, very nice man.

Partridge x Blue will make blue and black birds with some reddish orange leakage, usually in the form of pencilling through the body, but more focused in the neck.

4. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Illia, he doesn't appear to have any lacing.....

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've never known or seen of a Partridge Brahma male with lacing.

6. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Ok, then that makes sense. I'm not too familiar with them. Partridge was my next guess, that's why I asked the OP about the lacing.

ETA: Just looked and the OP is from Ireland, do they have wheaten brahmas there????

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  7. SarahIrl

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    We have blues, white columbian, partridge, gold and black. As far as I know anyway. He is going fairly cheap so will pick him up Weds. Just hope his temperament is as good as his looks! Not bad for 12 months, anyway.

8. John Ryan

John Ryan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Galway, Ireland
    This side of the world he'd be called a Gold Brahma/Gold partridge Brahma. Definitely not wheaten.
    Hes a pretty good example of the breed

9. SarahIrl

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Thanks for your help, folks!

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, no Wheatens. All Brahmas are partridge based, whether they be dark, light, buff, partridge, isabel partridge, blue columbian, red, etc. Although there are some new colors coming out. . . That's a Partridge. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by