Need to know please....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buzymom13, Sep 20, 2010.

1. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

We're not NEW to chickens anymore...or are we? LOL We got these chicks months ago...they were "mixed" breed from a farmer who had just about every kind of chicken you could think of.

I think they are roos (so no real disappointment there) but I'd like to know what they kind they look like?

This one was named "Pearl"...

[​IMG]

This one is "Marbles"

[​IMG]

Any help would be welcome... Thankx! [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They look to be Delaware or Sussex crosses.

3. LuvMyPeeps7

LuvMyPeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Lexington
    I have a rooster who looks just like that I was told he was a Silver Laced Wyandotte. But I'm not sure so I am also curious too. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  4. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    Thankx and would you say they were roos? Or do those breeds have big combs and wattles? They are about 17 wks now..."Marbles" had an accident in the coop and is healing up from a hurt leg (been walking well now and getting around fine after we babied him/her for awhile)

Thankx! [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That's a Sussex.

Yes, they're roosters. [​IMG]

6. LuvMyPeeps7

LuvMyPeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Lexington

[​IMG] Well at least someone knows there chickens.....THANK YOU SO MUCH. Father in law got him for me at a flea market and they told him it was a SLW, I didnt think so though after googling the breed.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

[​IMG] Well at least someone knows there chickens.....THANK YOU SO MUCH. Father in law got him for me at a flea market and they told him it was a SLW, I didnt think so though after googling the breed.

Hahah. A bird has to be laced to be, well, . . Laced. [​IMG]

Also, Wyandottes need to have a flat rose comb, not a single comb.

And, I could go on with the other differences. . . But sadly hatcheries have actually blurred the lines anyway. My own Silver Laced Wyandottes from a hatchery look exactly like your Sussex, just - With a rose comb and really sad looking lacing.

8. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i think they are alll roos

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA

Gotta disagree...Sussex have pearl colored legs. I believe that you have a Columbian Rock roo.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] Well at least someone knows there chickens.....THANK YOU SO MUCH. Father in law got him for me at a flea market and they told him it was a SLW, I didnt think so though after googling the breed.

Gotta disagree...Sussex have pearl colored legs. I believe that you have a Columbian Rock roo.

Yeah that I learned about an hour after I posted that reply. [​IMG]

Columbian Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by