1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need to know silkie gender for potential buyer. Guesses Welcome.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dianaross77, Aug 10, 2011.

1. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I have someone who is interested in buying these two. I told her I'm pretty sure they're both pullets but I don't know anything about silkies except they are notoriously hard to sex. I'm 95% sure #1 is a pullet. When I first brought her home, I'd catch her with both the ducklings under her wings. I am not sure on their age so I could be wrong about that. Though they have been done with chick noises for a while and make grown up noises all but the crows. They both sound just like my other hens. No strange roostery noises yet.
    eta: You don't need to tell me these are poor quality silkies, I already know.

Full side view
    [​IMG]

Close side view
    [​IMG]

Front view
    [​IMG]

Full side view
    [​IMG]

Close side view
    [​IMG]

Front view
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would say pullets. They have nonexistant combs and nice even crests. I'm certainly no.expert though. Good luck!

3. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Thanks for guessing! I'm inclined to think they are pullets too. There is very little comb development and no wattles to speak of yet on either of them. Although I don't even know if they're supposed to be bearded or not. [​IMG]

4. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I have no idea about their sexes, but they are adorable! I prefer "poor quality" silkies as their crests are small and they can SEE. Very sweet looking birds.

5. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    I have a 4 month old that has red streaks in his poof. I also saw a bantam hen try to submit to him. He has no comb at all though. He is hatchery stock, though. He has had those streaks (they look like several feathers twisted together with gel) for over a month now. I have another silkie that is 3 months old and has a poof that looks like yours. Mine has a more definite comb, but it hasn't changed at all. It is not getting bigger or wider. I think she is a female. She is also hatchery stock. I read somewhere that it can take 9 months or more to figure it out.

That being said, I think yours is a female.

6. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:Thanks. They're pretty funny little birds!

7. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:I sure hope you're right! Any more opinions?

8. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I have someone really interested in these two that would like everyone's opinion on sex. Pleeeeeease..... [​IMG]

9. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    They both look like my silkie roosters. They have very "swept back" crests. All of my girls have round crests. Did you see the momma of these? Wonder what her crest looked like.

10. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Good luck! I posted pics twice and each time got all pullet guesses. Now I have two gorgeous silkie roos! [​IMG] Seems to be a really tough breed to guess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by