Need To Know The Best Layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lacey1988, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    My grandma and I decided to make an all different kind of breed flock and so far Ive gotten these
    RIR
    SLW
    BO
    LH
    and a Dark Cornish
    So besides them what are some good laying breeds I can add to my flock

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Your RIR you bought will be good layers. I don't think, outside of a hybrid, you are likely to improve on them Barred Rocks are steady, as are EE and BA.

But, if you want a steady supply for customers? Brown egg? You simply cannot beat a Red Sex Link, with the ISA Brown leading the pack.
    One of the commercial strains of Leghorn will produce a white egg virtually every day.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Fred's Hens :

Your RIR you bought will be good layers. I don't think, outside of a hybrid, you are likely to improve on them Barred Rocks are steady, as are EE and BA.

But, if you want a steady supply for customers? Brown egg? You simply cannot beat a Red Sex Link, with the ISA Brown leading the pack.
    One of the commercial strains of Leghorn will produce a white egg virtually every day.

x2 - Although I would not consider EE's a steady layer. They vary depending on what hatchery you get them from.​

4. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Any sex link or production hybrid hen will be an egg-laying machine. That is what they are bred for. I have 5 production reds and they each lay an egg a day.
    If you want "purebreds" or hens that will have chicks that will be as productive as their mommas, I would suggest leghorns or RIRs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by