Need to make my final duck choice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Autumn Leaves, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I'm trying to decide between 3 types of ducks: Magpie, Swedish and Call.

I would like to get eggs but I am mostly interested in them being pets. I would like to keep 2 ducks and a drake. I like the looks of these ducks but I would like to learn more about their personalities. I've read about most of these but I would like to have them compared - I know that every duck is an individual but I would like to know about the breeds in general.

Call - the first duck I was interested in. They are just so cute! I am concerned about the noise a bit, but their small size would make keeping them easier.

Magpie - I have read they are friendly and good layers. I love their coloring. I also like their smaller size for ease of keeping.

Swedish - I have read they are friendly, poor layers. I also love their coloring. A bit larger.

Any thoughts - I have a hold on some Magpie eggs for hatching in February. I'm just having second thoughts as I think the Calls are so cute and I have heard they are great pets.

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Why not get a blue Swedish female, a magpie female and a call drake? That way you have the best of all worlds? The call being a drake will help with noise control a and having larger females isn't a bad thing IMO. The magpie can be your egg duck and your Swedish for looks. Do you really want to start with eggs? I would rather start with hatched ducks so I know the sex and don't have to deal with any heartbreak if some don't make it. Calls though would be harder to come by. Oh and call are known for being horrible layers.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  3. AlohaDuck

AlohaDuck Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    I would recommend getting a Black Swede Female. They are extremely friendly. I also own Blue Swedes both Drake and Female, but one thing I can tell you for certain is that there is something about Blue Swedes where they are so 'skitty/nervous,' vs Black Swedes where all of mine are super friendly and calm.

I kid you not. There is something in the gene of Blue Swedes that make them nervous like I have a runner or something. Hey maybe that's it! The runner blood line.....I would bet on that....

Black Swedes are very playful, calm, friendly and sweet. Of course it all depends on how you raise them, but having those characteristics in them will make life much easier.

Swedes are great layers too!

4. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I may just get all three like you suggest, I just can't decide!

I want to go with eggs because I am trying to avoid introducing diseases to my flock as much as possible, AND I love the hatching process. I am on my second chicken hatch and I am so excited to see who makes it. I am sad when some don't make it. Also the price of shipping poultry is insane!

Thanks for the tip. I think the blue is pretty but I would rather have a friendly duck and start off with the best chance possible :)

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Calls are quite noisy as you stated but they are still one of my personal favorites. So much personality in such a small package.

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    If you like those colors why not just get magpie and blue Swedish call ducks. Calls are excellent the only thing to worry about is them flying.

7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Now THAT is a good idea, since they come in both color patterns! <3 I vote call duck, since they're just ...they're so cute. Seriously, just SO cute. You will die from the cuteness, not just in their adorable round heads and teeny bills, but everything they do seems engineered to make you go "d'awwww". They're also the most affectionate duck out there, they're bred to be super-friendly, and they definitely deliver on that! I've heard they're not even that noisy if the flock is small. Even Wobbles is surprisingly quiet.

8. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    You all are killing me with the Call ducks - guess I'm going to have to get some eggs then. I LOVE the pure white calls! So cute. So I need to find sweedish and white and magpie eggs.

As to noise - which is louder, call ducks or Orphington/Sussex chickens. If they are close I might as well get the ducks.

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I found this video of someone's free ranging calls. I don't have any and have no personal experience except that I think they are the cutest things. They do seem to talk quite a bit in the video.

10. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Its so difficult to tell how far the sound carries in videos :( I don't mind if they make a lot of noise, but my neighbor (who we are friends with) is already saying that he hopes we don't keep a rooster. I told him we would not, but I don't want to upset him with ducks just as loud lol. In the video they seemed to be loud at times but mostly just making quiet quacks.

I live next to a large pond (does not belong to me) which houses a bunch of wild mallards. They can be noisy at times but it is not annoying - the geese on the other hand are a different story (poop everywhere).

I would love to find someone with some near me so I could hear them in person. I suppose if it upsets my neighbor I can always rehome and try a different breed. Too bad hubby does not like the look of Muscovies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by