1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need to make new run and coop or add on

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by badbowtie, Mar 15, 2012.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    I built this coop and run last year and now I need to add to it or sell it and build a new one. I would really like to build a new one but would have to sell this one first to fund new one. So I am thinking about adding on and making the run 6' wide instead of 4' and add 2' higher so I can stand in it. I also add to the coop 2' wider which would make the run 10x6 and the coop would be 3x6 so I can house 5-6 hens so I can put my 3 or 4 new chicks in it. What do you think would be the best thing to do?
    [​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Um, you may as well just build a new coop... 3x6= 18 square feet... That would be 4 LF or 6 bantam sized... and leaves 2sq feet left over for food and water for winter, and nest box...

Good rule of thumb, 4 square feet of unobstructed floor space per bird. You can get away with less than that, but come winter when they are cooped up more, you will find problems occur because they do not have enough space. Run space, if you are not free ranging, is 10 sq feet per bird. Again, these numbers are for the birds happiness and well being. Less space causes more issues to arise. Pecking order problems are more likely to occur when the space becomes limited. For 6 LF (large fowl) chickens, you really need to have a 4x6 coop, with external nest boxes... Or 4x8 with internal nest boxes. That gives you enough extra space inside to still leave plenty of walk about room in the winter, nest boxes, and food and watering station inside. Then off the front of the coop, you can build a walk in run thats 8x10, This will give a little extra room. AND wood 2x4s and 4x4s come in those lengths... Cuts down on cutting time. HEHEHE.

I built a 8x4 coop. I house 4 large and 2 bantams, and 3 babies right now. Mine however free range ALL year, with a protected run from the winter elements if they do not feel like going out. This year, they were out, even in the snow, and only stayed in the winter run if the wind was up high. Anyway, the initial coop cost less than 200 to build, and I used all new materials. It is up off the ground 2 feet. Stand 6 feet tall. My doors to the coop are on the broad side of the coop so I have no problems reaching in at any point. My birds are very comfortable in it.

The coop you have now, I like it, it is a perfect coop for a small backyard flock. All its missing is wheels to move it around the yard easier.

3. badbowtie

Mar 4, 2011
    I have two nesting boxes outside of the coop already and I don't even have food and water in the coop both are in the run and mine never really minded the cold this winter they came out everyday. But we did have a mild winter this year so hard to really tell. I also need to find something cheaper than the 1/2 hardware cloth I used it was really pricey. I am not sure if maybe I can use that at the bottom and then switch to something else. It does have to be predator proof.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. badbowtie

Mar 4, 2011
    I am thinking of selling my coop / run just not sure what it is worth. I am thinking of going tonight or in the morning and get all the wood to build a new one tomorrow. I am going 8' W x 4' H x 4' L for the coop and making the run go under the coop like it is now but can't decide it I want 10' long like it is know or 12' long and it will be 8' wide. I am also making it 6' tall in the run so I can stand in it. So the coop will be 32 sq and the run will be 80 sq or 96 sq depends if I go the 10' or 12' long. Should beable to handle 6 or 7 and 8 on the max side. I also am not sure what I am going to use for fencing since I don't close the coop of at night do I have to use hardawre cloth all the way around all the way up or can I just use it for the first 2 or 3' and then change to something else but what. The fence I have been using is like .5x1 squares and is really stiff.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by