Need to make somewhere for chicks

mamahen16

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2015
Western WA
we are using the coop that was in existence already when we moved here. We have 8 hens but I would like to maintain a continual flock with broody hens and roosters. I'll post pics of what I have now and would love ideas on what makes it easier to have brooders and chicks with mamas. We can build on to what we have.

Outside the coop

Laying boxes and some roost

The brooder (but has chicks under a light just for this afternoon)

A pano of the inside. There is a roost on the left also. The outside is fully engulfed in Himalayan blackberry during the summer.

I like to separate my broodies while they are setting, then turn mama and chicks loose with the flock as soon as the chicks start moving about. My broody area is inside my coop, sort of a separate room by with chicken wire walls (this is a large coop, about 11x17.) A day or so after the chicks hatch, both the mama and chicks obviously want to get out of their area and into the coop with everyone else, so I let them out. While sometimes a chick may be lost in this way, it hasn't happened to me so far; I've raised about 6 or 7 broods of chicks this way. The mama hen chases any curious hens away from the chicks. Just feed everyone what the chicks need. even chick feed medicated with amprolium is OK if you want, and put out a small bowl of oyster shell drparately for any hens who want it. Easy peasy!

Back
Top Bottom