Need To Make Sure

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newbie32, Nov 13, 2013.

1. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    14 weeks I think-or 15 weeks. Buff Orpington-obviously. I am still not convinced this is a girl. It is the tail feathers that have me confused. They curl-like a roo. Female or no?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    I'm not super educated on BOs but she looks like a girl to me.

I have a Red Sex Link hen, Teasel, with tail feathers like that.

Some of her tail feathers even looked pointy during her first molt. This is an older pic but look at her tail.
    [​IMG]

Far right, with the watermark over her. You can see the tail best here, but also a slightly older pic.
    [​IMG]

Here's a newer pic of Teasel, she's not holding the tail as high as she usually does in this pic, but it still looks very similar to your BO's. And she's for sure a girl. She even has a pretty tall stance compared to the other RSLs too. Guess she's just boyish? :p
    [​IMG]

Even my silkie hen, Gracey, has tail feathers like that actually! (And yes, she lays eggs, I've watched her do it!) Thought she was a boy for quite a while 'cause of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    BOs are notoriously hard to sex as they can be very slow maturing. The comb/wattle development looks female to me, but I am concerned about all the feathers hanging down in the saddle area. Any way to get a photo that clearly shows the bird from the side, or can you tell me if the feathers on the neck are rounded or pointed?

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    I enlarged the photo and zoomed in. The saddle feathers look pointed ETA: Rounded.. I did not mean pointed. I think she is a she and is just going through an awkward stage. I've had this happen to pullets a few times.

I do think it's a girl. I have never once had a cockerel with such little wattle development at that age.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that she's a pullet. A male would probably have a redder, larger comb.

6. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Okay I feel better. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by