1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need to no about broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dem-crazy-chickens, Mar 30, 2009.

1. dem-crazy-chickens

dem-crazy-chickens New Egg

Mar 30, 2009
    im wonting to no about what age would a hen go broody i am waiting for mine to go broody there bout 9 months old
    how long would i have to wait i no there a broody breed and they lay eggs but dont wont to sit on them they just walk away from them

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC from me in Phoenix. [​IMG]

Many breeds/varieties are bred NOT to go broody.

Those who go broody most often are Silkies, Brahmas, Cochins, Games and some others.

I had a Partridge Rock that was hatched on April 25th of last year and she was broody by December.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The broody gene is breed specific, what breed(s) do you have? I would say it they have a strong gene for broodiness another 2 or 3 months you should have a couple broody hens.

4. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    First off, it depends on what kind of chicken you have...

The broodiness is often bred out of "commercial" egg-layer breeds, because it inhibits them from going broody (which stops them from producing eggs for the time being while they set).

There are broody breeds like the above mentioned, but I know that silkies, bantams, brahmas, etc. get broody. You'll have to figure ask around to see if anyone knows anymore broody breeds (or do research).

Also, lol, my broody hens will lay eggs until they have up to a certain amount and then they will set and hatch...

Do you have a rooster? It sounds silly, but I know some people who try to hatch eggs from hens that have never been around a rooster and those eggs won't hatch, because they haven't been fertilized. Unless you are trying to hatch eggs that are sold to you (we're thinking about doing that since one of our hens are broody now).

5. dem-crazy-chickens

dem-crazy-chickens New Egg

Mar 30, 2009
    opps forgot to reply. my breed of chickens are Sussex there white so would that be any problem

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My experience with Sussex is that they rarely go broody but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by