Need to purchase turkeys; help, I cant find any

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by madimorg, Nov 15, 2010.

1. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I'd like to purchase four turkeys but am having a hard time finding anything available right now or for delivery in December or January. My daughters are both going to do 4-H this year and would like to take turkeys. However, all hatcheries and places I've looked online dont have anything available until March and later. Our fair in early June so they need to be started before spring. Anyone have any advice?

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Turkeys generally aren't laying this time of year. That's why we don't offer them. You may be able to find some young stock locally?

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It's going to be hard to get poults that time of year. Do you have an incubator? hatching eggs would be your best bet that time of year.

Steve

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    try looking on craigslist in farm and garden. or post a wanted add at your feed store.

5. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Would you happen to know a good source for hatching eggs of turkeys? I dont have an incubator but would be willing to get one.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:Would you happen to know a good source for hatching eggs of turkeys? I dont have an incubator but would be willing to get one.

LOL, I just might be "sitting on" some turkey eggs at that time. Last year our Beltsville Small Whites started laying mid Dec. The only problem shipping eggs that time of year is the cold, it's still semi warm here but shipping north will depend on the weather.

Steve

7. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Steve,

Do you have any midget white eggs for asle now? If not, what do you have? Thanks!

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

We have a couple Beltsville Small White hens that are starting to lay.

Steve

9. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Do you think that fertility would be good on them this late in the year?

10. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I have a Royal Palm laying right now, however her mate died about 3 months ago. [​IMG]
    Be careful-as a wise man who knows once (or a million times!) said "turkeys look for any excuse to die!" I have had an awful time keeping poults alive, especially when it gets cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by