Need to rehome a laying Pekin in NE Florida

ruthhope

Free Ranging
Aug 16, 2021
St Augustine, FL
My local library in St Johns County has a pond that is a favorite dumping ground for unwanted ducks. Over 2021, I watched as the resident flock of Pekins reached 6. Yesterday there were 7 including a female who is laying. She is in good condition but wont be for too long with 6 Pekin drakes for company. She also has to contend with 4 muscovy drakes that flew in recently. The library staff say the muscovies are wild: they were not dumped [they didn't appear overnight] but came during the day].

I cannot take the Pekin duck as my flock are all drakes. My son cannot take the Pekin duck as we are currently rehoming a muscovy duck there. She is accepted now by his Pekin ducks, but she still has to win over the Pekin drake. It could be another month before she is fully integrated: there is every evidence that the sweet little muscovy duck will be boss duck once she has sorted her relationship with the drake!

Is there anyone in St Johns Duval, Flagler or Clay counties who would like a laying Pekin? I will capture the duck [I have permission from the library staff] and deliver.

Also if anyone would like a Pekin drake, let me know as at least 2 of the drakes need rehoming before the Library manager culls the flock down to 4, which is their understanding of the capacity of the pond.

Attachments

• 20220112_120240.jpg
    20220112_120240.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • 20220112_121845.jpg
    20220112_121845.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220112_120304.jpg
    20220112_120304.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Update: I found a fabulous pond: large, with very many variety of ducks living there, on private property. The pond is on a horse farm and the owner feeds the ducks and has coops and stalls for the broody ducks to sit on their nests safely, It is a real ducky paradise.

A rehabber and I then went to rescue the female pekin and witnessed the newly arrived 7th duck I thought was male that was being bullied -- feathers pulled out from wings -- being forcibly mounted by a muscovy and 2 or 3 of the pekins, in the pond. When she dragged herself out -- still with the muscovy on her back -- I was able to get her but not get the muscovy off her back on my own. So glad I had a rehabber with me. So today we saved this little duck and rehomed her in paradise. Tomorrow we will return and try and get the other pekin female. She is currently in good condition, but she won't be for long with that bunch of aggressive drakes.

The photos show the rescued pekin joined into the existing flock of pekins on the new pond. There was no hostility to her arrival -- they are all well fed!
20220114_161401.jpg
20220114_161536.jpg

Last edited:
My local library in St Johns County has a pond that is a favorite dumping ground for unwanted ducks. Over 2021, I watched as the resident flock of Pekins reached 6. Yesterday there were 7 including a female who is laying. She is in good condition but wont be for too long with 6 Pekin drakes for company. She also has to contend with 4 muscovy drakes that flew in recently. The library staff say the muscovies are wild: they were not dumped [they didn't appear overnight] but came during the day].

I cannot take the Pekin duck as my flock are all drakes. My son cannot take the Pekin duck as we are currently rehoming a muscovy duck there. She is accepted now by his Pekin ducks, but she still has to win over the Pekin drake. It could be another month before she is fully integrated: there is every evidence that the sweet little muscovy duck will be boss duck once she has sorted her relationship with the drake!

Is there anyone in St Johns Duval, Flagler or Clay counties who would like a laying Pekin? I will capture the duck [I have permission from the library staff] and deliver.

Also if anyone would like a Pekin drake, let me know as at least 2 of the drakes need rehoming before the Library manager culls the flock down to 4, which is their understanding of the capacity of the pond.
I’m in Venice FL and could take her. I have 3 females (1 pekin and 2 magpie) I could meet you half way

I’m in Venice FL and could take her. I have 3 females (1 pekin and 2 magpie) I could meet you half way
Kind offer, but we rehomed her the next day. She went to a ducky paradise on a nearby horse farm with a large well fenced pond. Ducks of several varieties including pekins, mallards and lilac muscovies. The ducks are all well fed and happy. The female, who had very badly pulled wing feathers, was accepted right in by the existing pekins.

Update: I found a fabulous pond: large, with very many variety of ducks living there, on private property. The pond is on a horse farm and the owner feeds the ducks and has coops and stalls for the broody ducks to sit on their nests safely, It is a real ducky paradise.

A rehabber and I then went to rescue the female pekin and witnessed the newly arrived 7th duck I thought was male that was being bullied -- feathers pulled out from wings -- being forcibly mounted by a muscovy and 2 or 3 of the pekins, in the pond. When she dragged herself out -- still with the muscovy on her back -- I was able to get her but not get the muscovy off her back on my own. So glad I had a rehabber with me. So today we saved this little duck and rehomed her in paradise. Tomorrow we will return and try and get the other pekin female. She is currently in good condition, but she won't be for long with that bunch of aggressive drakes.

The photos show the rescued pekin joined into the existing flock of pekins on the new pond. There was no hostility to her arrival -- they are all well fed!
View attachment 2961247View attachment 2961248
I’m glad you were able to help her! Good luck with the other one 🙂

Angela Hobson, I’m in Bradenton and desperately trying to find placement for a very sweet Pekin that was dumped at found at the south skyway. I took it to keep it safe and get it to a rescue or sanctuary, but I’ve run into a brick wall trying to place it. It’s such a sweet duck and deserves a safe and loving home. Would you still be interested?

Angela Hobson, I’m in Bradenton and desperately trying to find placement for a very sweet Pekin that was dumped at found at the south skyway. I took it to keep it safe and get it to a rescue or sanctuary, but I’ve run into a brick wall trying to place it. It’s such a sweet duck and deserves a safe and loving home. Would you still be interested?
Hi Jennico

Is your pekin male or female?

Have you tried your local chapter of the Human Society or your local branch of the SPCA? They may be able to help you find an adoptive home.

I'm dealing with Nicole over the next two days and so I can't do much more than these suggestions until the weekend. I'm also 4 hours from you on the Atlantic coast, but I have a local back garden duck keeper who will take a female rescued pekin.

Back
Top Bottom