1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need to rehome White Crested Black Polish Cockrel in Northern Alabama

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by AlmadenOaks, Mar 2, 2017.

1. AlmadenOaks

AlmadenOaks Just Hatched

Jul 18, 2016
    Elkmont, Alabama
    When I got my day-old chicks in July they included, free, a little white crested black polish. Turns out that "she" is a "he". That isn't a problem, but my barred rock gals (14 of them) have always pecked the little guy. We were constantly treating him as a chick, and now they leave his head alone mostly but have been working on his tail feathers! We have been at this for 7 months (he was born July 11).

We really enjoy him, but I think he'd be happier somewhere else with other Polish, perhaps, or smaller birds (he is smaller than the heavy barred rocks) where he could hold his own! He has a sweet temperament, but does not like being held particularly -- probably because we have had to treat him so much! His is very docile and very social. We separated him for a while within the run, but he wanted out to play with the girls.
    [​IMG]

Any takers?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. hoflandhenhouse

hoflandhenhouse Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Jamestown, ND
    Would you ship him?

3. AlmadenOaks

AlmadenOaks Just Hatched

Jul 18, 2016
    Elkmont, Alabama
    I am not at ll sure how to safely ship a 7 month old bird or what it might cost. Do you know?

4. AlmadenOaks

AlmadenOaks Just Hatched

Jul 18, 2016
    Elkmont, Alabama
    Hoflandhenhouse: I just realized you are in ND. Our Polish wouldn't do well in your climate. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by