Need to steal Ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Irish Cluck, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Irish Cluck

Irish Cluck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    So we all see lots of pics of the houses, but does anyone have a cool, unique pics of their pen? I know I've seen a few unique ones in various places here (I'm thinking of the "Salad Bar" post). I thought we could start a thread dedicated to pics & ideas for the outdoor runs.

Lets see em!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    This is the first of 6 pens like this we will have. This one happens to house a pair of ducks, but they will all be built like this one and landscaped inside over time. We live in FL and our pens have a goat run around them for our fainting goats and great pyrenees.

[​IMG]

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i may "steal" too i would love to see cool looking runs if you have a cool looking flock you need a cool looking run right

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Oh, great thread! I'm going to be starting my run in the next few weeks, would love some more ideas!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm building a run for a new coop.It's gonna be different & hopefully cool.LOL In the picture you will see three post sticking up. I should have 4 but didn't think of the idea till the other day. I'm gonna add a 4Th post & build a deck above the run. I live on a hill so I'll be able to see along way. Actually, I'll be able to hunt from the deck. I won't though we only hunt on our land that's on the other side of the creek that runs through the m[​IMG]iddle of the property. I will shoot the hogs though.

6. ck_dunham

ck_dunham Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    Ottawa, KS
    Quote:Now see I really like what you have here. I've tryed doing a layout just like it but I cant ever get the palm trees to make it in the Kansas weather! [​IMG]
    It dose look nice really!

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    LoL thanks ck, Palms would be a problem for you. I like them because we can buil around and under them with not much worry of them falling on the runs.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Palm trees are great but their a pain to trim. I've found everything in the world living in them. Bees, bats, snakes to name a few. I like live oaks. I hate plants or trees that stick you. Just my opinion .

9. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    What a great thread! I don't want to hijack your thread, so please move to an appropriate area if this is in the wrong place.I have a friend coming over next week to help me convert my shed into a coop and the dog pen into an attached run. I have been reading this forum for a YEAR trying to get the best ideas. I LOVE the salad bar idea!

I have water and electric already at the shed, and there is an additional water spigot at the fence by where the door will be. I have a rain barrel that I was thinking of turning into a self waterer. I remember seeing pics on here of feeders built out of pvc pipes which I would like to do. I would love idea's on what else I should do while in the process of converting. I have been fretting over not being able to cover the run, but short of putting up netting or taking down the trees, there isn't much to do with it. I will be fencing in with chicken wire and hardware cloth on the bottom of the run.

I would love to see pics of things others have done to make their coops pretty and unique. I have a steeple my dad built many years ago, and I was thinking of putting it on top of a cupola and making the coop look like a little chapel. (I am a Minister) My DH thinks I have lost my mind!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of my enclosed pen....we had just gotton over a foot of snow... thank goodness thats all gone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by