Need to temporarily split my outdoor run...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wynette, May 6, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I want to temporarily split my outdoor run so that I can sew some seed...I was thinking about deer netting (it has to be inexpensive). Here's a few pictures of my run so you can get an idea of what I have to work with. It's 16' x 40', and I have 4x4 posts each 8' approximately, with a chicken wire "roof." I was hoping to be able to split off an 8' x 16' section with the deer netting or something else and just staple it directly to the 4x4's with those "U" shaped nails (DH calls them "horseshoe nails" but I doubt that's their actual name). Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    2x4s and poultry wires

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Wally world has that plastic netting in the garden department. Thats what I use its really inexpensive its grey in color.

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, micki - I forgot to state that I currently have chickens in that run, so I need to make sure they can't get through to the newly seeded side. In your opinion, is that netting safe in that regard? Thanks again -

5. yoursecret_1

yoursecret_1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Portland,Oregon
    I would use deer netting.I did it to my run to keep the big birds and little ones apart.Works well.The netting is 7x50. if you need bigger you can get netting for trees and it is 14x50.
    Hope this helps.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quite helpful; thanks, yoursecret!

7. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Another way to get grass to grow is to build a 2x4 frame, lay it flat on the ground and cover with chicken wire. The grass will grow under the wire and the chickens will keep it trimmed when it grows above. I haven't done this yet but read it here last week. I'm gonna make mine about 18 wide and 36" long. Good Luck

8. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I just used random garden stakes and cardboard to split my run.
    Amazingly it has held up to rain and the chickens don't jump over it.

Cheap too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by