Need to transport geese long distance, how?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bel, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Hi,
    Its time for the geese to move to the ranch, its a 4 hour drive, what is the safest way to "pack them" for their trip?
    Thanks,
    bel

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    What type of vehicle will you be using? A stock trailer bedded nicely with straw is fine, as is the box of a pick-up if you have a topper or tonneau cover. If they'll be in an open pickup box, open trailer or in the interior of a vehicle, putting them in a crate (such as a dog crate) bedded with straw will work.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I know it sounds cruel but I have found that is less stressing if they can't see the changing surroundings. I like to use cloth bags so they can breath. They usually nod off and are quiet untill you arrive. Cardboard boxes with air holes work well also just be sure that they don't over heat or chill.

4. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Thanks, that was stressfull but they are on their way. I am going to miss taking them for walks every morning and evening but the ranch has a much bigger area for them to play and a lot more wild grasses to eat. Their goose house is going with them so hopefully they will have an easier time settling down in their new home.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by