Need to Vent - Coyote

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by This'l'do, Jan 13, 2010.

1. This'l'do

This'l'do Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    I just needed to vent and see if anyone had any ideas how to deter a certain predator as I really want my ladies and gentleman to be free range.

I came home off of nightshift at 6 this morning, my rooster is crowing (he doesn't normally let alone at that time!) and my dogs took a great interest in something on the floor at the end of my porch.

4hrs sleep later they are going nuts. I drag my sorry behind out of bed and look out the front window - takes a few minutes but I see a coyote about 40ft in front of my house meandering up my driveway, big bugger too and healthy looking. Got the gun out, by the time I got out it was about 100ft (I'm not that good without a scope). I followed it 400mtrs to the road and found my neighbour with his gun as well - neither of us got a shot off! URGH!!

My coop is close to the end of the porch and judging from the tracks there are at least two coyotes obviously taking an interest in my chucks in broad daylight - any ideas how to keep them away from them without penning my flock in?

2. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    They tend to be creatures of habit. Get together with your neighbor and wait on them to come to you. You'll loose a bit of sleep, but you'll get your shot.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, coyotes belong to packs. Even if you get this one, there are others. I'd be confining my chooks and/or building a coyote-safe run. The pack will get all of them if you are not prepared to get this solved. I live in a predator-rich zone, so I'm not just saying this...seriously.[​IMG]

4. This'l'do

Nov 28, 2009
    Thanks, I think I'll do both. My neighbour hates them as much as I do so we'll set up, but I'll have to wait until the spring to build a run - I don't feel like digging in 3ft of snow!!

We never used to get Coyotes around the house, the dogs used to scare them off. Last winter 2 wolves came up and miraculously my dogs came out on top - one of the wolves died, but after $200 in vet bills and a mandatory 45 day quarantine I'd rather they didn't have to defend the hens against them again!

5. phrogg

phrogg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Monday, Ohio
    I wish you much luck and good fortune my friend, I don't know what I would do having to worry about wolves taking my chickens and fighting my dogs.
    [​IMG]

6. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    This'l'do :

Thanks, I think I'll do both. My neighbour hates them as much as I do so we'll set up, but I'll have to wait until the spring to build a run - I don't feel like digging in 3ft of snow!!

We never used to get Coyotes around the house, the dogs used to scare them off. Last winter 2 wolves came up and miraculously my dogs came out on top - one of the wolves died, but after $200 in vet bills and a mandatory 45 day quarantine I'd rather they didn't have to defend the hens against them again!

Why a 45 day quarantine?​

7. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:To see if they develope Rabies.

8. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    So one of the wolves must have gotten away then. Did they quarantine regardless of vaccinations?

9. This'l'do

Nov 28, 2009
    Yes, both dogs were vaccinated, one wasn't even bitten, but they made us quarantine and give them another rabies shot.

10. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Rabies vaccines are ONLY helpful preventatives. They do not in any way shape or form GUARANTEE a rabies free animal if the animal was bitten by another rabid animal.

In other words, even if you vaccinate, your animal can still get rabies. The vaccine is NOT 100 % effective. It is a good choice because it gives your pet a much better fighting chance against rabies, but it is not guaranteed 100 %.

Fox, coyote (and wolves I am sure) can be dealt with for sure... but you will never rid your area of them completely. I personally would want to hunt them down or trap them. They are pretty much open season all year round here if they are getting livestock.

However, you will never be able to trap or shoot them all... some will remain, and likely become a problem in the future.

I finally gave up trying this past summer and now all of my "free range" birds are in an aviary that measures about 100' X 100' X 12' tall...

I just couldn't stand to lose my beautiful chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by