Need to vent.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yardbirds286, May 28, 2010.

1. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    So last week I got my 3 BO chicks from our local feed store. They are PERFECT and as cute as can be. Thing is I also has 3 Australorp chicks in the same order. The guy told me that he had no idea why the BA chicks didn't come in the shipment. They always order from Ideal once every spring and have never had a problem. He said that They told him all the chicks would be shipped at the same time. This was Thursday of last week. He said he would call them and find out where the chicks are. So Saturday I went in to the feed store for some things and asked what the status of the chicks was. No one knew. So yesterday, a full week later, I call and ask again what is going on with my chicks. They never called to find out!!! On top of it all the guy gave me attitude, and said "when I have the time I will call, I know they will show up." [​IMG] OK so now I am at the point of cancelling my order. Thing is, I already have two sets of chicks two weeks apart, and I wanted them to be as close in age as possible. I am just upset about the whole thing. I was really looking forward to the BA chicks. Thanks for listening.

2. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Service aint what it used to be. Nobody cares anymore and you cant threaten to take your business elsewhere, because they dont care. They still get a check every week, whether or not you shop there. I had a pretty good business a while back and I gave it up because I couldn't get people to show up for work (sober) and have a decent attitude with my customers. I ended up walking away from it. My success was predicated on my employee's attitude. I paid well, flexible hours, generous travel pay and about 40% of the time I would cover lunches.

Theres just no owners left running the stores, so you rarely find anyone motivated to do the job they were hired for. I have a local feed store that I refuse to go to, because of their attitude. I either drive farther to Tractor Supply or Agway. Both corporate places but, they seem to want the customers there.

3. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    The people at the TSC close by are always nice, and helpful. I guess I was just surprised by the attitude. I mean I was not waiting for a shovel to come in. We are talking live, baby chicks. I guess me being naive thought they might , oh I don't know....be a little concerned?? Disappointing.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Me & My Peeps :

Service aint what it used to be. Nobody cares anymore and you cant threaten to take your business elsewhere, because they dont care. They still get a check every week, whether or not you shop there. I had a pretty good business a while back and I gave it up because I couldn't get people to show up for work (sober) and have a decent attitude with my customers. I ended up walking away from it. My success was predicated on my employee's attitude. I paid well, flexible hours, generous travel pay and about 40% of the time I would cover lunches.

Theres just no owners left running the stores, so you rarely find anyone motivated to do the job they were hired for. I have a local feed store that I refuse to go to, because of their attitude. I either drive farther to Tractor Supply or Agway. Both corporate places but, they seem to want the customers there.

Where there an Agway around here? Palmer?​

5. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Songster

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    you can order 3 from My Pet Chicken or 5 from Cackle Hatchery. Costs more and that is the part that stinks.
    But you do have choices, just trying to pep you up.

6. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Songster

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Hey, where in MA are you located??? They had chicks, I think they has Australorps, in Acton @ Ericksons Grain, right off of rt 27. I was just in there on Wednesday picking up supplies for my soon to arrive chicks. Maybe you could give em a call & ask what they have left. They are super nice there!! [​IMG]

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It is difficult to find places that do care what customers think anymore. Too bad there was a jerk working who didn't care enough to do what he said he would. I would not use that store anymore, if I was you. I have a number of local stores that I can choose from, and choose is exactly what I do. I don't go anywhere that gives me trouble. You may want to order from My Pet Chicken. They may be able to send an order out quickly. I understand your concern about keeping your flock in the same age range. One of the local farm stores has told me that there was a two or three week window that you really don't want to get outside of if you are introducing babies. Good luck with your birds.

8. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Quote:Yep, they had a fire about 1 1/2 years ago and their now running out of the old "Flamingo's" building, right across the street from Northern and the mini golf place. I get my wood pellets from there too, their really good - everyone's always helpful. 50lb bag of layer feed = $11.87. They also sell corn and cracked corn, chick feed, straw bales etc. Full service except for chicks. They just dont have the room right now.

I dont want to name the place that I wont go to, but it's a feed store and repair power equipment. Out of 6 visit's - their attitude was terrible each time. I just stopped going all together. Ill travel father or just go without, before I give them any of my money.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Me & My Peeps :

Quote:Yep, they had a fire about 1 1/2 years ago and their now running out of the old "Flamingo's" building, right across the street from Northern and the mini golf place. I get my wood pellets from there too, their really good - everyone's always helpful.

I dont want to name the place that I wont go to, but it's a feed store and out of 6 visit's - their attitude was terrible each time. I just stopped going all together. Ill travel father or just go without, before I give them any of my money.

Ahh.. Kopecs old building. I know where your talking about... thanks! [​IMG]

10. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Quote:For what it's worth, maybe speak with a MGR. The MGR is about the only person that really cares if the doors stay open. He may have had other probs with this person and he just needs to be let go.

As a person that used to live on customer satisfaction , I would WANT to know if you were treated badly and I would have ended up getting you an answer AND crediting you for them as well. For the $6-$8 retail - $1.50 $3.00 cost loss, I would have hoped to have regained your business. It also would have shown me a weakness in my system and allowed me to "cull it". [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by