Need Treatment suggestions for chewed up duck??

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
She was attacked by a oon or possom. Her neck is all raw bloody and chewed on. Nothing is very deep. She seems ok, but may be in shock. Never dealt with a duck injury. Any suggestions??? I have her in a pet taxi with hay right now to help her relax. I have aintibac soap, or iodine soap. what about medicine or antibiotics?? She is a Muscovey. I'd hate to loose her.
sad.png
Thanks

Quote:
If you can upload some pics. would help alot, I too have Muscovies so i know how you are feeling. Wash her wounds real good. keep her in a quite place where she has warmth and water, she might not eat till shes over the shock. You can use iodine watered down to look like weak tea or just wash and rinse real good and put some kind of antibiotic salve [neosporin] without pain relief on the wounds. After she has recoverd some be sure to check her over real good again to make sure you didn't miss any wounds. She will probably recover pretty good, just watch for any sign of infection. All the best.
fl.gif

Awe poor girl and you! Hope she recovers.

ETA: I love muskovies. As far as I am concerned they are the only duck!!! I know how to treat chickens but not ducks. With an injury like that chickens would normally get antibiotics. But I know ducks are sensitive to some of the stuff you can give chickens. I think there is that book Storeys guide to Ducks that has a lot of information in it.

Last edited:
I would say she is very lucky. I agree with the previous poster, keep her wounds well washed (hibitaine works well or even epsom salts and water), keep her warm and dry and quite. Also honey is very healing and won't harm her if she happens to ingest it. Best of luck!
K

She is VERY alert. She is afriad of me, unfortunately. Its looks like she drank some water, it is a little dirty. I have her in a 3 ft by 6 foot cage all alone with fresh hay, water and some food. She holds her neck funny, but I would say that is because she is sore. I cleaned her up earlier and there are some obvious teeth marks. She quacks when I come near. I'm just gonna try and leave her be. I did spray her and the cage with some diluted Oxine.

Quote:
Good for you I really like oxine, and another product that is wonderful is Vetericyn, it's pricey but worth every penny, I am amazed at how quickly it takes care of wounds and such. You'll have to really keep an eye on those teeth marks, you know how nasty those animals mouths are. You'll see brusing which will probably bee green in color, but smell is what to watch out for that could mean infection. My ducks don't like to be held but if it's for their own good then so be it. you are her care taker and you need to clean her wounds and look at her from time to time to make sure everything is healing up like it should. Try giving her some peas before you have to treat her and then afterwards, most ducks love those little green peas. put some in her water if she has never had any. Thanks for leeting me know how is is doing, I have a special place in my heart for all fowl but ducks are really special, guess thats why I have 9.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom