Need Turkey Help- Sick? 19wk Jersey Buffs w/Pics

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by DawnSuiter, Jan 24, 2009.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all... I've posted this seperate from my ongoing Jersey Buff thread because I need some information.

We finally got them a playpen area built, it's on our back deck which we covered with a fruit tree net and now they have room to flap & spread their wings. They've been going out when the weather is above freezing to their play pen, it's been great!

Our turkeys are now 19 weeks old, both seemed just fine until 2 days ago, when one of our turkeys would NOT move from the perch when it was time to herd them back inside for the night; back to the brooder. It just wouldn't move! DD came in to tell me about it and I went out and verified that one turkey was just immobile on the perch. I tried to motivate it, but nothing.. just like a zombie or something. I picked up the turkey and then it started flapping away and everything was fine again. Herded him/her into the brooder and all was good.

Yesterday they were fine as far as I noticed... they call to me, I check on them often. They didn't want to go inside before dark, but when dark came they were happy to get back into the brooder.

Today... I went out to check and the same turkey, that was frozen on the perch, is now squatted down in the bedding. Just sorta lifeless really, head down, not moving. The other turkey acting just fine. I went over to see the turkey, picked up its head, no fighting, just a heavy head. I talked to it, tried to nudge it, nothing.. that's when I got scared of course. He/she continues to do this, and then a few minutes later everything is just FINE again. Flapping, hopping, eating, making happy noises.

I went back out & took some pics.
    Is this turkey possibly sick? or coming into egg production or even practicing at only 19weeks? I don't even know yet if they are boys are girls, they are VERY similar whatever they are in leg size, snoods, etc.

Please... thanks for reading... take a look?
    Motionless Turkey just sitting there
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Motionless Turkeys face [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The other turkey who is so far just fine and had to be restrained for photos
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here's pics of them growing up.. with some to compare to from 2 weeks ago http://picasaweb.google.com/bodyflight.net/Turkeys#

here's
    a short video of them 6 days ago in their new playpen.. the one in question is the darker one on the right

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    When you pick it up is it lighter weight than the other one?

Have you checked for mites?

What does the poo look like?

Is it eating at all? Anything in the crop?

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, We will wait your answer

Steve in NC

3. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Looking at the pics again the cheeks look sunken, like it's not eating. How long ago did you move them? Have you seen the one in question eating?

Steve

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ok... same weight basically, the other one is a bit smaller, alwyas has been.

Have not checked for mites, but will do that.

I have seen them both eating, ALTHOUGH, 2 days ago they did run out of food for a few hours before I noticed. But otherwise they've always had all they can eat, and I fed them immediately after

2.5 weeks ago I DID switch their food... I tried a new food from my purina dealer, a local-is brand that has tons of seeds, pellets, greens etc.. looks like birdfood called Kickin' Chicken Premium Gamebird 16% protein from Burkmann Feeds in KY, I have the label right here if I need to reference something.

I just checked on them again as we herded them back into the brooder and he/she was sorting through the food eating this and that. I wasn't going to stick with this new food because the chickens pick & choose what they want out of it..

I will check for mites... is that something that can wait till tomorrow during the light of day? or should I check immediately???

thanks...my first real turkey problem and all.. I appreciate your feedback

5. LaneKim

LaneKim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Del Rio
    Hey

By the way mom asked me to add that the crop has food in it but it's not as big and bulging like the chickens is and about the same as the other turkey. [​IMG]

Bodyflights DD

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    It is easier to check for the mites when you've got good light (if you have a head lamp and/or lighted jeweler's loupe you can check after they roost).

Do the chooks rule the run? That is, do they intimidate the turks at the feeder? Might switch to the gamebird starter/flight conditioner.

keep a weather eye on the droppings (all liquid/yellow etc.)

7. LaneKim

Jun 25, 2008
    Del Rio
    The Turkeys live by themselves on the back porch and the chickens live 30 feet off the front of the house. So far the turkeys love eachother and they don't ever see the chickens so that's not a worry. there is only 2 turkeys.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  8. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Ok... same weight basically, the other one is a bit smaller, alwyas has been.

Have not checked for mites, but will do that.

I have seen them both eating, ALTHOUGH, 2 days ago they did run out of food for a few hours before I noticed. But otherwise they've always had all they can eat, and I fed them immediately after

2.5 weeks ago I DID switch their food... I tried a new food from my purina dealer, a local-is brand that has tons of seeds, pellets, greens etc.. looks like birdfood called Kickin' Chicken Premium Gamebird 16% protein from Burkmann Feeds in KY, I have the label right here if I need to reference something.

I just checked on them again as we herded them back into the brooder and he/she was sorting through the food eating this and that. I wasn't going to stick with this new food because the chickens pick & choose what they want out of it..

I will check for mites... is that something that can wait till tomorrow during the light of day? or should I check immediately???

thanks...my first real turkey problem and all.. I appreciate your feedback

If they are picking thru the food they may be eating only the "treat stuff" and not eating the "good stuff" ? just a thought. Do you have any of the other food left? try switching them back to old stuff. For their age the 16% is fine protien wise. Do they have grit if the new food has more grains?

The mite check can wait, since they are close weight wise. The mites will suck a bird dry and will be very much lighter.

You didn't say anything about the poo? Look for runny, red flecked, blood in it.

Steve

9. LaneKim

Jun 25, 2008
    Del Rio
    We are going to switch the food again noone not even the chickens are eating all of it they are just picking through. No no grit, and I gave them some of the old food today. The poop doesnt have any blood that i've noticed and it's only runny occasionally. Thanks for your help everyone hopefully its no big deal! [​IMG]

10. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Is there a food that they like alot? ours love fresh greens, hard boiled eggs. Try to get the one to eat as much as you can the next few days and hopefully it will do better. If we aren't on here you can email us at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by