Need Turkey Opinions-- Best to raise for eating, pets and breeding

NurseNettie

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Northern Maine
We're considering raising turkeys (as well as chickens, but that's besides the point). We're in northern Maine, and need cold-hardy breeds, and are looking for breeds that are good for meat, as well as for natural breeding. I know there are some that won't breed naturally, so we're not interested in those- rather, we'd like some that are natural breeders, and good for meat (will likely have pets too!)

What are your favorites? Reccomendations? "must haves"? And what would you definitely NOT reccomend?

Any of the heritage breeds will be hardy enough. They really aren't much different from the wild turkeys you see running around out there.
I can't get mine into a coop even in the dead of winter. They prefer a tarped pen to a warm building and some just fly up into the trees near the back door.

What do you like the looks of? Only the royal palm was created with showing in mind. The rest of the colors all came about so one farmer could tell his flock from another.

I do think my Narragansett are a tad bigger than my bourbons.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/

He's got a lot of different kinds and lots of pictures. See what looks interesting.

Even wild turkeys that are hand raised get tame. I had a Rio Grande that used to spend most of his time glued to me.

Thanks!!! I"ll be bookmarking that site!!!
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom