NEED URGENT ADOPTION FOR THIS SWEET DUCK~ PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kalsti, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Kalsti

Kalsti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    Hi, I am hoping that this little sweet duck can be adopted by a loving person....it has had its wings clipped and is at this pond in CT. PLEASE CAN YOU ALL FORWARD OR POST TO OTHERS YOU KNOW WHO MAY BE ABLE TO HELP IT? IT'S WINGS HAVE BEEN CLIPPED APPARENTLY, SO IT IS DOOMED THERE.

THANKS,
    KRISTI

shared Shoreline Neighbors's photo.

25 minutes ago ·
    • Please share with FB friends in CT~ Poor thing.

[​IMG]

This duck lives at Messerschmidt Pond in Westbrook all year round. It has its wings clipped, so he can't fly, but when you approach him he responds to the word "bird!"

Credit: Sarah

Like · · Share · Stop Notifications · Promote

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That's a goose! I hope someone can help it out.

3. Kalsti

Jul 31, 2013
    Ya I thought it was! Hope someone can help this pair of geese.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you contacted Majestic Waterfowl in Lebanon? They may have contacts who can help.

Also, there is a Goose Forum on BYC, and a Rehoming Forum as well as a Connecticut Forum.

5. Kalsti

Jul 31, 2013
    Good idea about Majestic! Yes, did post on the Goose Forum....Someone already posted on the CT Forum also I believe. We have a person who wants to rescue the pair of geese but cannot reach the group or this "Sara" person who posted the original picture and story on Facebook. The prospective adoptive parent wants to just know where to look at the lake for the pair.....

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    On the other thread I put the link to Shoreline Neighbors FB page where there is an email address as the contact - that's all I could find.

I need to dash - plan to check back later in the day.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for your help A. [​IMG]

8. Remmy

Remmy New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Ok so now I'm worried...she normally stands by the back door begging to come in. Always knows when we get home and is waiting on us to let her in. Over the past 3 days she hasn't come to the door but maybe once or twice. Every time I go to look for her she is always sitting on her eggs. I have always picked up her eggs every morning until my 10 year old kept giving me a hard time about taking her eggs so I stopped picking them up. That is when she quit coming to the door. I mean she LOVES coming in and hanging out with us in the living room. Since I stopped picking the eggs up, does she think their are babies???? Also, yesterday morning she had laid her egg against the fence which is so strange...she always lays them in the same place. She would not move away from the egg so I looked at it and it did not have a hard shell, it was soft. I picked it up and put it in the pile with all of the other eggs. She literally has been sitting on them about 75% of the day. I love her so much and am so scared something is wrong.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds broody - you need to make sure she is safe from predators.

10. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Definitely sounds broody. I would be nervous that she is sitting outside with no protection from predators like Amiga said.

I think you might have to override your 10 year olds concerns about taking the eggs to see if that breaks her broodiness. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. Can you move her to a safe place and let her sit on eggs there? I had one last year that sat on eggs for weeks. Actually, I took the eggs and left her with plastic easter eggs. She came off the nest once in a while to eat and drink and then went back. So sweet, but sad that I could not let her hatch them out. It bothered me to take the eggs too, but I did not want to have them hatch and have to deal with the potential of having babies and some or all of them being drakes. And I could not eat them, or give them away, so I just took the eggs. She will get over it if you remove the eggs, especially if you give her fake ones. Just please, keep her safe.
    Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by