1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Urgent Advice on Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marie_martin, Jun 25, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have a muscovy duckling that hathed yesterday. I had two but one died already. This one is very weak as well. It had a rough naval but that seems to be healed. The problem is, it was hatched yesterday and still can't stand up. Is that a serious problem or are they sometimes weak? i am giving it water with minerals and I did see it drink water on it's own but no food yet. Looks like it can't hold it's head up real well and it can't stand up. Should I put the poor thing down or does it have a chance? Thanks.

Marie

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Try giving it poly-vis-il, I used it on my sick chicks and it worked very well. Some of my chicks just couldn't make it, but the ones that were weak and developed properly were fine. I don't know what else to tell you, cause I've never dealt with ducklings that young!! Hopefully someone else knows a little more and can help u!!!

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Go to the feed store and get some Vitamins and Electroyltes. I had to give that to my call duckling, that wouldnt stand up, and just laid on its back. Within 4-6 hours it was a totally new duckling. Running around and drinking and eating.

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    That is what I have. I put it in the water. It is vitamins and electrolytes. Thanks.

Marie

5. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Wish ya the best. Good luck

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    THey can live a couple days on the yolk sac it absorbed right before it hatched. Hatching out is hard work. Keep him warm, have non medicated starter mash and water available to drink (use a small waterer so he doesn't drown)
    Keep an eye on him and let him recover from his big day. Don't fuss with him too much until he perks up. Talking to him but not handling him much right now is all he needs.

Give him a chance before thinking about putting him down. [​IMG] Keep us posted.

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, she is doing ok this morning. She is holding her head up nicely. But is still struggling to walk. I think we have a case of spraddle let. I tried bandaids to kind of hold the legs together but not sure how it will work.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by