Need Urgent Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CammieSilkie, Sep 10, 2010.

1. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    help! one of my six-week-old bantam silkie roosters is sick or something??? he wont stop making strange noises, looks like hes dying, woobly, etc? he wont eat orf drink, and he looks like hes in pain and i cant stand seeing one of my chickens like this! help! his body temperature isnt as warm as it should be... i have him on a heating pad to keep him warm but i dont know what to do. im home alone btw. i do not think my parents would bring a sick chicken to the vet.. and i need help figuring out whats going on. i was feeling around for broken bones, injuries. lumps, etc. but nothing. maybe hes just cold? i have him on a heating pad. i got him to drink a bit witch is good, but his crop is 100% empty, i can feel the bone to the lefft of the crop because its sticking out that's how empty. (usually that bone is hard to feel because the crop is bulging with food, lol.) my mom is on her way home.. i just dont know what to do.. what do you think it is? any suggestions? anything i can do to help him? here's a video of how he sounds/looks from when i brought him inside about 30 mins ago, i think he got a little bit worse [​IMG]

... sorry i cant get the video on [​IMG]((

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am so sorry to hear that you have a sick baby. Try some yogurt, scrambled egg something enticing that maybe he has had before and liked.

I wish I could help more but maybe Mom will know something else to do.

[​IMG]

3. CammieSilkie

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My mom knows nothing about chickens. I'm the mastermind :3 she just got home and suggested he was cold, so we put him under the heat lamp from when they were babies. he is getting quieter, so hes either dying, or getting warmer? i dunno... it got like,, WICKED cold today outside. i will try some food. but gosh, i feel not a drop of food in his crop...

4. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Similar thing happened to one of my hens once. I think she had something stuck in her throat, but I never found it. I isolated her, kept her warm, gave her yogurt, fruit, and put vitamins in her water. I tried opening her mouth multiple times to check for a blockage but couldn't find anything. After a day or so she stopped honking and perked up. Support him as much as you can. Let us know.... Sorry I couldn't be more help.

5. CammieSilkie

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The thing is, he wont move and/or even open his eyes. he will only open his eyes if you like, pick him up. but only for as second. i offered him some plain vanilla yogurt, but ofcourse, even wen i put some on his beak he didnt want it. he just stands there like, crying.. its so sad! i feel sooooooo bad! and my mom refuses to bring it to the vet since hes a chicken, but i would have ): i just want him to eat and get better but he wont, and if you feel him, hes cold. like.. really cold. even under his wings. hes not shivering.

6. kristen2678

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Keep him warm and give him some time to rest. Maybe dim the lights. Hopefully he'll do well overnight and try some fluids tomorrow. If you have any electrolytes they'll be helpful once he starts drinking. Vitamins too. Good luck.

7. CammieSilkie

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I give him his medicated chick feed mixed with yogurt so its pasty, and i open his mouth and put it in. he doesnt refuse it or spit it out, he gladly swallows it. same with water. but he wont eat and drink on his own [​IMG] and when i give him food or water, he seems to perk up for a second, open his eyes, and give me a "mm, thank you!" kinda look, before he closes his eyes and go back to sleep. also, his body temperature is back up to normal, which is good! he is getting better and stopped chirping wildly. but unfortunatley, his poop IS very very watery. so i am making sure to keep him hydrated. he only went poo once though. I dont think i saw any blood, a little bit of dark reddish brown it it? but im almost 99% sure it was NOT blood. I'm going to keep checking on him and keep him under tyhe heat lamp all night and see how he is in the morning.

8. kristen2678

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    How did things go??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by