Need Valbazen help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klbaker75, Jun 19, 2019.

1. klbaker75

klbaker75 Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    I can’t find any info on how to treat for gapeworm (confirmed) with valbazen. Is this 3 or 5 days? I am on day 3 today. Also their poop has turned like dark chocolate color almost black and normally is dirt brown color since on the medication. What does that mean?

Many thanks

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I have no idea about the poop, if you can post photos that may be helpful.

For Gapeworm, give Valbazen for 3 days in a row at a rate of 0.08 ml per pound of weight.

klbaker75 likes this.
  3. klbaker75

klbaker75 Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    Yes my vet first confirmed but I also do my own fecals and today is day 3 (I gave 0.5 cc each and they are 5 and 6 lbs) and I’m not seeing anymore eggs but I am still finding adult worms on fecals. Im sure it’s just where they’re dying or stunned off but after what I’ve been through, I’m nervous 3 days won’t be enough to wipe out the adults but I will just monitor.

I think most people would say the stool color is normal but it’s just not normal for them. I’ll grab a pic.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Greetings klbaker75,

Valbazen (Albendazole) is a very effective anthelmintic. But, you must repeat the course in 10 days.

:thumbsup

klbaker75 likes this.
  5. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Also, you mentioned the poop color changing to blackish.

This can be due to the gapeworms passing through the intestine. Gapeworm feed on blood. Black poop is usually indicating the presence of blood.

Other things can cause black colored poop. Chickens that have eaten black berries, blue berries, and especially wood ash or charcoal, will have blackish poop. I just put some wood ash in my chicken's dust bathing areas, now one of my girls is pooping black. She pecks at the charcoal chunks and eats bits of it. Her poop is black off and on, but has good form and texture.

Most likely, the gapeworm are releasing blood as they pass out of the digestive system. Just be vigilant for other symptoms like paleness, lethargy, low appetite, etc.

God Bless :)

klbaker75 likes this.
  6. klbaker75

klbaker75 Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    Thank you so much! I did not get a notification of this post and am just seeing it by accident.

Hen Pen Jem likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: