need water at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bibliophile birds, Nov 17, 2009.

1. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

my 7 week old chicks spent their first night in the coop last night (a ton of bad weather kept if from getting finished sooner). i was a nervous wreck! i worried about every single thing that could happen, except perhaps the obvious. i didn't think to put a waterer in the coop with them... do they need one? i feel like they wouldn't really be able to see it in the dark anyway. i don't like the idea of them being up that long without water, but if they can't get to it, i don't want to waste the money and space on another waterer.

2. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    hmmm good question! I have a baby outdoor coop that they can go down to get water if they need to - but they dont until the sun is out.

7 weeks is pretty hardy...if you are letting them out first thing in the morning, I would think it is ok.

3. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:they went up about 7 pm and i let them out at 7 this morning (which is the only reason i'm up this early! i hate mornings. so naturally, i get chickens). that just seems like an eternity without water for them, but they obviously weren't dying of thirst this morning: they bypassed the water on the way to FEED! what pigs! [​IMG]

4. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    My daughter's girls have a feeder in the henhouse (to keep it out of the weather), but their water is in the run. We lock them up in the henhouse at night and they seem to do just fine without a waterer. They do like to have a drink when they first come out of the house, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by