Need Wyandotte advice

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sben451, Jul 23, 2011.

1. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I have one year old BLRW rooster
    [​IMG]

Also have four young BLRW roos that hatched this spring and I'm undecided on which one to keep of this bunch. Any advice would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

I have two of the young splash BLRW roos and honestly cannot tell them apart, so I'm only posting one picture

[​IMG]

And this young fellow who I may keep
    [​IMG]

My inclination is to keep the year old roo and the dark BLRW in the last picture. Any advice? [​IMG]

The year old roo and the young roos are not related. I have 8 hens for this coop.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Keep in mind its type first. Wyandottes should have a circle shape when looked at from the side. The top rooster's comb and wattles are way too big for my liking, the wattles should be half that size. Once you have that then work on the color. The thing that I dont like about them is the longer head, alittle too crow headed to me. I like the splash the best, the bottom rooster doesnt look very vigerous and the other dark rooster has too much gold. I worked with LF BLRW's before they were that popular and worked with wyandotte bantams since I was in my early teens, thats just my advice on them, hope it helps.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

#3 is the only one who would come close to making the cut for my breeding flock. The others have too many faults for the breed and color variety.

4. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    I agree. #3 is a keeper, the others are too brassy or other issues. #3 has a nice dark ground color in my opinion. Hard to tell a whole lot about type since they are still filling out.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    As with all the Blue Laced Reds I've seen the type leaves a lot to be desired. That said, the Splash has the best type of all. Since type is where this variety needs the most work he'd be the one I'd keep. One & three are way too long & flat in the back. Many beginning breeeders have trouble seeing beyond colour but type has to come first.

6. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    Thanks for all the advice. I knew there were some experienced BLRW growers here on BYC. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by