Need ya'lls opinion

mytwogirls

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
greenbrier, tn
I read somewhere that dishcloths are best for the bottom of my brooder. It said that using chips that the chicks might actually try to eat them out of curiosity. Does it really matt? what is your opinion? And how big a brooder do I need for 12 chicks. Thanks

In my brooder I use pine shavings covered with a layer of paper towels to prevent the chicks from eating the shavings before they discover the real food. I use a big plastic storage container that I bought in Walmart. It was the biggest one they had--about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide with nice high sides.

I keep the paper towels down for a couple of days until the chicks are eating well from the feeders. And, yes, the chicks WILL eat shavings if they aren't covered. Their little bodies cannot digest wood and desperately need the food, so it is imperative they not be allowed to eat those shavings.

HTH

Rusty

I totally concur with Rusty
smile.png
You could also use washcloths/dishcloths like you suggested. I have done that when I only had two LOUD babies, and they can be washed with bleach...

I also like the clear boxes from walmart so they can see outside. It seems they are less likely to wanna climb out if they can see what's happening, THAT is just my experience
smile.png

GOOD LUCK!! nothing like baby fuzzbutts!
Hugs
CHristina

Back
Top Bottom