NEED YOUR ADVICE ASAP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nhchickmom, May 13, 2009.

1. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Hi All,

I have been posting this last week about moving my 2 week old chicks out the shed witha heat lamp and most said they thought this would be fine. They are really starting to stink and can fly out more.

So today after work I put them all in a metal chicken cage, much larger than they were in. I lined the cage with newspaper and sawdust as I know they do not care for the open feeling under their feet. I put in a few sticks for "roosting" and a rock for climbing as well as their heat lamp. Oh sorry I got ahead of myself and forgot to mention that I put their cage in the chicken coop. I figured if they could be in the shed with a heat lamp, why not the coop which is wired for electricity. Is this ok? They are contained and safe in the cage from the other chickens, which have not seen them yet as they free range all day long. Can you see any potential problems with this? They do not seem to be to cold. They are moving around, eating, drinking, not huddling to much, kind of rotating back and forth to get under the lamp. Let me know you thoughts before I close them all in for the night, PLEASE!

PS They seem to be tripping a little, which I am sure is b/c of the new surface. Should I be concerned or will they get used to it?

Thank you

2. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Someone else hopefully will respond that knows more about this, but I would think if you have them in a space where they can't stick their heads out or get pecked somehow by curious chickens, etc and the heat is appropriate for their age, etc that you should be just fine. In fact it might also be a good way to begin exposing the two flocks to each other over time.

Let us know how it works out!

Ps...are you using shavings for the bedding or actual sawdust? Shavings or pellets would be better for them

3. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Thanks for the input. I have been spying on them since the hens are in for the night. The hens seem a little peeved that their is something new, but no signs of aggression at all. The chicks seemed a little cool, but it was close to 8:00 pm when I closed the door and the temp had dropped quite a bit. I just checked on them and all the chicks were asleep under the heat lamp, but nothing seemed unusual. The actual inside temp of the coop will probably be 55-60 tonight, but the heat lamp is 120 watts and about 80 in that spot. i too hope this will be a good way to introduce the two flocks so that in a month of so they can live happily ever after with no squabbles.

Thanks for the advice.

Ps I ment to say shaving not saw dust, I always say that though [​IMG]

4. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    do you have a draft shield around them? so they dont get in a breeze?

i'm about to put mine out inside the hen house also but i built a special little brooder for them. one thing i did NOT do when i originally framed it was cover the bottom foot or so with plywood. i did this recently so that why i'm thinking of it.

from my own experience having them with the hens lets them get used to others - however i know that their little immune systems are quite there (this is what i've heard - keep them separated for 8 weeks) BUT i have hens who've hatched chicks and they are all out there together.... so i here's hopin'......

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    As long as they are warm, are not in a draft, and are protected from the other hens, I don't see a big problem. I'm assuming you did not put them under the roost for obvious reasons.

Are they tripping or slipping? I haven't done sawdust on newspaper so I don't know if they can keep their feet or if they are slipping. Newspaper is slick and they can get spraddleleg if raised on newspaper. I'd think if the sawdust is thick enough it would not be a problem, but I really don't know.

I personally like putting them out with the others as you did as soon as possible. It should help with integration issues later on.

I don't want to alarm you but you should be aware that your chickens may have some parasites or diseases that could be passed on to your chicks. They might have mites, lice, worms, cocci protazoa or something else. It is not a reason to refrain from exposing them. I actually think it is a reason to expose them. While you have them contained and are dealing with them up close every day, you can observe them and treat them without interference from the other chickens if necessary. They are eventually going to be exposed to your existing flock anyway, so I consider now a good time. They'll do a better job setting up some immunities while they are young. It is probable that nothing bad will happen, but I'll mention it so you can observe.

Good Luck!!

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    You should get a big cardboard box, an appliance sized one- like for a washer or dishwasher. Put it on its side, cut part so the top is opened, stuck some wire over it if need be, and use PELLETED BEDDING inside it with the heat lamp clipped to the lid or the wire.

It lasts for like a month or better, the bedding doesnt smell and is SO much better than stupid shavings that start to reek after just a day or two.

I've been doing this for a while now, and I've tried ever other way possible. Its just so much easier.

Here's the basic idea:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
  7. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I would think as long as they're totally protected from the hens and are warm and cozy they should be fine [​IMG]

8. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:What a great idea! I hate using wood shavings!!! So stinky and messy.

9. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Thanks all. I am feeling better about my decision now. There is no draft as the coop is very tight with insulation so I think they should be ok. When I spy on them through the widow they do not seem to be acting cold. Also so far so good with the hens. They seem confused, but not all that interested. I left plenty of room so that the hens can get to their nesting box and roost without being near the chick cage. I hope this will help the chicks and hens to get a long better.

I guess my last question is do I need to worry about spradle leg (spelling) The chicks are about 16 days old and up until now they have been on hard plastic with pine shavings. I only put the newspaper down because the cage is a wire cage with openings and I did not want their little feet falling through. I put pine shavings down on top of the paper to help with traction. What are your thoughts?

PS I also put in a few sticks, a rock and a larger stick for a roost. It is amazing to see their instincts kick in, within a few mintues they were all practicing flying up to roost. So cute!![​IMG]

10. nhchickmom

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Quote:Great idea. Might try it next time. This is my first time with baby chicks as our hens were adopted when they were already 1 yr old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by