Need your advice on broody silkie

chickencrazy999

Songster
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
England, UK
hello my miniature white silkie has gone broody and she has been sitting since Friday and she has been great but the problem is I am only able to hatch chicks in march as I do not have a cockerel and it is quite wet and cold at the moment she has been sitting really well and getting up to eat and drink she has pulled out her chest feathers and is very protective over her empty nest I can see she is very determined to be a mommy and I fee really sorry for her somy question is do you think she will be ok if she is going to stay broody to stay broody and hatch chicks next month or do you think maybe not at my first attempt at breaking her I had her in a wire cage for a day and a half but I felt bad and she just decided to happily go broody on the wire and even tried to make a nest she is the sweetest hen by the way her name is Muffin and I really want to do what's best for her what do you think I have had some advice that not to try and break her anymore otherwise she may not broody again or if she does will not be faithful or a good mother I am just a bit confused please help Thanks here is a picture of her on the nest there is also a pic of her she is the one at the back all fluffed up

I've not had Silkies before but I've had plenty of broody hens. One of my dark cornish is broody more than not. I let her hatch once last year and I've broke her more times than I can count. I think if a hen is naturally broody like the silkies that breaking them form being broody is only temporary. She may not go broody exactly when you want in March but more than likely a few eggs left in the nest will get her back in.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom