Need your Advice..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CoopCrazy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Cornish X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dark Cornish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Freedom Rangers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cornish Roaster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None of the Above.. Ideas?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Turkey: Broad Breasted White

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Broadbreasted Bronze

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Midget White

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Heritage? What Breed?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am planning my Meat Birds for this spring and wanted some insight.. This is one of a few polls I will be doing.. You can answer multiple breeds.. And if you would please suggest the hatcherie or breeder you reccomend..They will be in 10x10 Pvc Tractors on my 3 acres... I want something fairly quick to grow and good feed to meat conversion.. But I dont want to miss out on taste.. Thank you...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Boy oh boy do I have an answer for you. My brother n law was showing me his chickens he had in the freezer. I thought they were minature turkeys until he took it out of the bag and showed me. The were the cornish X ...They are HUGE they had them 8 weeks and then slaughtered them. I tell you what. I am now seriously considering it for this year...they ordered 60 of them and now have all of them in the freezer. They used Murray Mc.Murray hatchery, which is who I have always used as well for my chickens, but I want to get some next year now for the meat alone.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If going strickly for Meat, I voted Cornish Cross, and BBB, you can not beat feed to meat conversion on these(actually I think the BBW grows a little quicker, but the bronze give you a little more color.

If wanting a little preatier, and able to reproduce on its own, I would go with a heritage Bourbon Red.

I got mine from Ideal, and Meyer

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Can't go wrong with the Cornish X. Mine were as big as turkeys. And delicious! I might get some this year, too. I had gotten mine at Tractor Supply.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Not worried about pretty just functionial.. I want meat that tastes great and is quick to grow out.. Thanks for all the great advice folks.. Keep it coming

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    As it stands I am thinking Cornish X and BBB... anyone else want to speak up im all ears....

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for reminding me to weigh my TINY TINY BROILERS ! [​IMG]

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

When did BYC get polls?

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:GFMS Can make polls... I am getting a lil addicted to them now....

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:It came out in BETA format, approximately the 15th of August, then became a PERK of beiing a GFM member approx December 15th [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by